Finding final velocity of dropped ball using F = dp/dt

  • Thread starter Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
UrbanXrisis
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
1
If I dropped a 5kg ball, from a 2m distance, the force acting upon it will be constant right? How would I get the final velocity of the ball before it hit the floor using this equation:
[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you can find time taken, T , then rewriting your equation

[tex]\int _0 ^T\vec{F}dt =\vec{p}_{fin}-\vec{p}_{in}[/tex]
 
UrbanXrisis said:
If I dropped a 5kg ball, from a 2m distance, the force acting upon it will be constant right? How would I get the final velocity of the ball before it hit the floor using this equation:
[tex]\vec{F}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]

It is quite weird to chose this equation,which assumes many calculations which could be shortcutted by applying the law of total energy conservation.


Daniel.

PS.In physics problem,always try to chose the easiest path to reach at your results...It saves energy,paper and neurons...
 
dextercioby said:
It is quite weird to chose this equation,which assumes many calculations which could be shortcutted by applying the law of total energy conservation.


Daniel.

PS.In physics problem,always try to chose the easiest path to reach at your results...It saves energy,paper and neurons...

It is needed that use that equation, I'm trying to prove Newton's second law in a momentum project.

Gokul43201 said:
If you can find time taken, T , then rewriting your equation

[tex]\int _0 ^T\vec{F}dt =\vec{p}_{fin}-\vec{p}_{in}[/tex]

The force is constant so time is not dependent right?
F=pf-pi
ma=mv-0
a=v?
 
Why in the world would you think F= pf- pi?? That is NOT the equation that you quote. The equation you quote is
[tex]\int _0 ^T\vec{F}dt =\vec{p}_{fin}-\vec{p}_{in}[/tex]

The left side is [itex]\int_0^T\vec{F}dt[/itex], not F!
 
UrbanXrisis said:
It is needed that use that equation, I'm trying to prove Newton's second law in a momentum project.

This is absurd.Newton's laws are postulated,axioms,they cannot be proved.It's like proving Schroedinger' equation,or the postulates of thermodynamics or the postulates of statistical mechanics (the axiomatical approach)...

Daniel.
 
OKay, back to my example, I dropped a 5kg ball. The force is about 50N. This force is constant. Let's say it took 2 seconds to drop. Then change in time is 2s. How would I integrate that? 50x=mv?
 
dextercioby said:
This is absurd.Newton's laws are postulated,axioms,they cannot be proved.It's like proving Schroedinger' equation,or the postulates of thermodynamics or the postulates of statistical mechanics (the axiomatical approach)...

Daniel.

Sorry, I mean verify
 
UrbanXrisis said:
Sorry, I mean verify

Aha...That's something else.And it sounds right... :-p

UrbanXrisis said:
OKay, back to my example, I dropped a 5kg ball. The force is about 50N. This force is constant. Let's say it took 2 seconds to drop. Then change in time is 2s. How would I integrate that? 50x=mv?

It would be correct,if that "x" would be 2s.I guess it was a typo...

Daniel.