Finding frequency of rotating cylinder after torque applied for 15 seconds

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
cnfsdstudent
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
A stationary wheel ?(solid cylinder) of radius .3m and mass of 1.75 kg has a 12 Nm torque applied to it. Determine the frequency of the wheel after 15 seconds.


I = 1/2mr^2

Am I supposed to find "I" first? What is the best way to go about this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, find I, the moment of inertia of the cylinder. Then use the relation between torque, moment of inertia, and angular acceleration to get the angular acceleration. The angular velocity increases linearly with time under the effect of the constant torque. Find the value of the angular velocity 15 seconds after start. The angular velocity is 2pi times the frequency.

ehild
 
Thank you so much! I will let you know if I have anymore questions later on.