Finding how high a winch can lift a mass before the battery discharges

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum height a winch can lift a mass before the battery discharges, taking into account the winch's efficiency and variable load resistance. The solution involves finding the total energy of the system, which is calculated using power (V*I) and time (t). The battery's capacity is 10 A/hr, and the winch's resistance is much greater than the battery's internal resistance. The 50% efficiency of the winch includes all factors such as resistance. In the next problem, the 50% efficiency does not apply and the goal is to find the load resistance that maximizes energy. To calculate energy loss due to the winch, the formula E=I^2Rt
georgedaisuki
Finding how high a "winch" can lift a mass before the battery discharges

Homework Statement

The EMF of the D cell battery is 1.5 V and the life is about 10 A/hr. 50% of the energy int he winch does actual work and the lifting mass is 50 kg. The winch has a load resistance variable of Rl.

Homework Equations

Total Power=VI-V^2/Rl

(1.5*10)-10^2/Rl Total power of the system since the question states that the winch's resistance is much greater than the battery's internal resistance. (Thus ignore battery's resistance.)

The Attempt at a Solution

After finding the total power of the system, I thought that convert the power into work and using mgh to find the max height of winch would work. But at this point, I do not understand how to convert power into work if I do not know the time. Am I to find the height in terms of hours? I've read the book and searched around the internet but the conversion between power and energy is confusing.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org

You are trying to fin the total ENERGY of the system.
power = V * I and energy = power * time = V * I * t

The capacity of the battery if 10 AHour (I*t) - you have written it down wrong.

O I see. That should help me quite a bit. Thank You

also, P is VI but don't I need to take into account the resistance of the winch it's self? Or does the 50% efficiency take into account of the resistance?

Yes the 50% efficency includes everything - the question is much simpler than you are imagining

so in the next problem, we have to assume that the 50% doesn't apply. I now have to find the Rl which would maximize the energy. ..

This is where I would apply the total energy-energy due to winch correct?

My question here is that how do I find energy loss due to the winch? Can i use E=I^2Rt? But I'm confused since I is squared. can I assume that 10 A*hour is just I also? so that energy is 10^2*Rl*t and power is 10^2Rl?

1. How does the weight of the mass affect the winch's lifting capacity?

The weight of the mass directly affects the winch's lifting capacity. The heavier the mass, the more energy the winch will need to lift it. Therefore, the higher the weight of the mass, the lower the maximum height the winch can lift it before the battery discharges.

2. What is the maximum height a winch can lift a mass before the battery discharges?

The maximum height a winch can lift a mass before the battery discharges depends on various factors such as the weight of the mass, the power of the winch, and the capacity of the battery. It is important to conduct experiments and calculations to determine the specific maximum height for a given winch and mass.

3. How can I determine the power and capacity of my winch and battery?

To determine the power and capacity of your winch and battery, you can refer to their specifications provided by the manufacturer. Additionally, you can conduct tests and measurements to determine their actual power and capacity in real-world conditions.

4. Can I increase the maximum height a winch can lift by using a higher capacity battery?

The maximum height a winch can lift is limited by its power and the weight of the mass. While using a higher capacity battery may increase the amount of time the winch can lift the mass, it will not necessarily increase the maximum height it can reach. It is important to consider the winch's power and the mass's weight when determining the maximum height it can lift.

5. How can I prolong the battery life while using a winch to lift a heavy mass?

To prolong the battery life while using a winch to lift a heavy mass, you can consider using a winch with a higher power or using a lighter mass. Additionally, you can also implement energy-saving techniques such as gradually increasing the winch's speed or taking breaks to allow the battery to cool down. Regular maintenance and charging of the battery can also help prolong its life.