Finding inductance and maximum energy for 240V 50Hz inductor with 4A current

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jendrix
Messages
120
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



Assuming steady-state sinusoidal ac.A voltage of 240V at 50Hz applied to an inductor yields a current of 4A.Assume negligible resistance.Find inductance, max stored energy.



Homework Equations



E=0.5Li^2

X=2*pi*f*L


The Attempt at a Solution



V/I=X Which I found to be 60

L=60/2*pi*f
L=0.191H

E=0.5*0.191*4^2
E=1.528J

However the answer given is 3.06J , which has left me confused.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The given voltage and current values are no doubt RMS values...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
jendrix said:
assuming steady-state sinusoidal ac.a voltage of 240v at 50hz applied to an inductor yields a current of 4A. Assume negligible resistance. Find inductance, max stored energy.
[/color][/color]
Maximum energy is stored when maximum current flows through it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Of course, I need to use I pk,

so E=0.5*0.191*(4*2^1/2)^2=3.06J

Thanks :)