Finding inflection points of f(x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
939
Messages
110
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



In my book it specifically asks to "find the points of inflection" of f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10.

Homework Equations



f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10
f'(x) = 6x^2 + 18x - 24
f''(x) = 12x + 18.

The Attempt at a Solution



What I don't get is why it asks for pointS. Isn't there just a single point here? Or can you get them not only by using the second derivative?

I.e., set f"x = 0. Yet here only one point does that, not multiple ones? :S Could it be just a typo in the book?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
939 said:

Homework Statement



In my book it specifically asks to "find the points of inflection" of f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10.

Homework Equations



f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10
f'(x) = 6x^2 + 18x - 24
f''(x) = 12x + 18.

The Attempt at a Solution



What I don't get is why it asks for pointS.
They are just asking the question in a general way, to include the possibility of multiple inflection points.
939 said:
Isn't there just a single point here? Or can you get them not only by using the second derivative?

I.e., set f"x = 0. Yet here only one point does that, not multiple ones? :S Could it be just a typo in the book?
 
Mark44 said:
They are just asking the question in a general way, to include the possibility of multiple inflection points.

That's what I was thinking, but why wouldn't they write point(s) or point/points then? :mad:. But yea you simply have to be right, I don't see how it's possible to find two from that...
 
You're blowing a really minor thing way out of proportion. When they say "find the points of inflection ..." the possibilities are

*no such points
*one point
*two or more points

You should find something else to worry about.
 
Mark44 said:
You're blowing a really minor thing way out of proportion. When they say "find the points of inflection ..." the possibilities are

*no such points
*one point
*two or more points

You should find something else to worry about.

:blushing:
 
939 said:

Homework Statement



In my book it specifically asks to "find the points of inflection" of f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10.

Homework Equations



f (x) = 2x^3 + 9x^2 - 24x - 10
f'(x) = 6x^2 + 18x - 24
f''(x) = 12x + 18.

The Attempt at a Solution



What I don't get is why it asks for pointS. Isn't there just a single point here? Or can you get them not only by using the second derivative?

I.e., set f"x = 0. Yet here only one point does that, not multiple ones? :S Could it be just a typo in the book?


I think the wording is their way of testing you. If they said inflection "point" that would be giving you a hint that there is only one. By saying "points" they are making you think about it.

RGV