Finding initial speeds of two cars from their velocities after collision

  • Thread starter Thread starter Garvage
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Garvage
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Two cars collide at an intersection. The first car has a mass of 925kg and was traveling north. The second car has a mass of 1075kg and was traveling west. Immediatly after impact, the first car had a velocity of 52km/hr, 310deg, and the second car had a velocity of 40km/hr, 320deg. What was the speed of each car prior to the collision?

Ok.
Is there a velocity formula I can use? One In terms ov V and M?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think these are the formulas, but I'm not sure.

[tex]V_{1}=\left(\begin{array}(\underline{(M_{1}+M_{2})}\\(M_{1}-M_{2})\end{array}\right)V_{1}'[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}=\left(\begin{array}({(2M_{1})}\\\overline{(M_{1}-M_{2})}\end{array}\right)V_{2}'[/tex]

Can anyone help?
 
What about getting the right directions? When I use those equations the velocity comes out to be negative. Do I just switch the direction?
 
Garvage said:
I think these are the formulas, but I'm not sure.

[tex]V_{1}=\left(\begin{array}(\underline{(M_{1}+M_{2})}\\(M_{1}-M_{2})\end{array}\right)V_{1}'[/tex]

[tex]V_{2}=\left(\begin{array}({(2M_{1})}\\\overline{(M_{1}-M_{2})}\end{array}\right)V_{2}'[/tex]

Can anyone help?
Correction:
This formula only applies when a moving ball (A) collides with a stationary ball (B). In this case, you can't use this equation. Rather, you have to use conservation of linear momentum (break down into horiz and vert components). The final and initial horizontal momentum is always conserved. The same goes for the vertical momentum.
 
So, after I break up the V1' and V2' velocities into horizontal and vertical vectors, can I solve for all four using those formulas? Aslo, what do I do about the velocities being negative since [tex]M_{1}-M_{2}[/tex] is negative?
 
Garvage said:
So, after I break up the V1' and V2' velocities into horizontal and vertical vectors, can I solve for all four using those formulas? Aslo, what do I do about the velocities being negative since [tex]M_{1}-M_{2}[/tex] is negative?
I don't think you can use those formulae at all, since both masses are moving initially. As far as negative velocities, they simply mean the mass is traveling in a negative direction (this can be anywhere, since it depends what you define as the "positive" direction).
 
Well, that's not good news. Are there any formulae I can use?
 
As far as I know, only

[tex]Momentum_{horiz/initial}=Momentum_{hor/final}[/tex]

and

[tex]Momentum_{vert/initial}=Momentum_{vert/final}[/tex]

The only problem is, it seems you're missing one piece of information reguarding the initial speeds.
 
Oh yeah, I read the question again, and you do have enough info. Do you understand how to solve it now? :rolleyes: