Finding Ka of Monoprotic Acid using information from titration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Ka of a weak acid given its pH at the equivalence point in a titration with a strong base. The equation pH= pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]) is mentioned, but it can only be used before the equivalence point. The half equivalence point is found to be at 150 mL, and the Ka is calculated using the equation Ka= Kw/Kb. The final Ka value obtained is approximately 1.45x10^-5, which is rounded up to 1.5x10^-5 in the book. The accuracy of using [OH-] ~= sqroot(Kb X [A-]) to find [OH-] is also discussed.
Orims
1. This problem has been slowly eating me for the past 2 hours. I've done everything I can but I can't seem to answer it. The pH at the equivalence point in the titration of 100 mL of a 0.1M monoprotic acid solution with a 0.1M strong base solution is 8.12 at 25 degrees C. What is the Ka of the acid?

I know the Ka of the acid can be found using pH= pKa + log ([A-]/[HA]) but only if it is before the equivalence point.

3. I found out that the equivalence point was when 100 mL of strong base have been added (same molarity as weak acid, so equivalence point = double the volume of initial acid solution). This would make the half equivalence point 150 mL.

Physics news on Phys.org
What if I will reword the question for you: what is Ka of a weak acid, if 0.05M solution of its salt has pH 8.12?

Thank you! I finally got it!

I used the fact that [OH-] ~= sqroot(Kb X [A-]), so I got [OH] from pOH and used the fact that since HA and NaOH were in equal volumes and concentrations, the [A-] would be half the concentration of HA. I got Ka from Kb (Ka= Kw/Kb)

In the end I got a Ka of about 1.45x10 to the -5 and my book says the Ka would be 1.5x10 to the -5 (they round up).

Again, thank you!

Orims said:
[OH-] ~= sqroot(Kb X [A-])

You should check if conditions needed to use this equation are meet. This is only approximation and it is not always correct.

Calculation of pH of a weak acid/base.

I understand the frustration of not being able to solve a problem after spending a significant amount of time on it. However, I would like to assure you that there is a solution to this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand the concept of titration and how it can be used to determine the Ka of a monoprotic acid. In a titration, a strong base is gradually added to a solution of a weak acid until the equivalence point is reached. At the equivalence point, the number of moles of acid is equal to the number of moles of base added. This means that the concentration of the acid and its conjugate base are equal at the equivalence point.

In your case, the pH at the equivalence point is given as 8.12. This means that at the equivalence point, the concentration of the acid and its conjugate base are both 10^-8.12 M. Using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, we can calculate the pKa of the acid as 8.12.

pKa = pH + log([A-]/[HA])
8.12 = 8.12 + log([10^-8.12]/[10^-8.12])
8.12 = 8.12 + log(1)
8.12 = 8.12

Now, we can use the pKa value to calculate the Ka of the acid using the equation Ka = 10^-pKa.
Ka = 10^-8.12 = 6.59 x 10^-9

In conclusion, the Ka of the monoprotic acid is 6.59 x 10^-9. It is important to note that this value may vary slightly due to experimental errors and other factors. It is always a good practice to repeat the experiment and take multiple measurements to ensure accuracy.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of titration and how it can be used to determine the Ka of a monoprotic acid. Keep up the good work and don't let this problem discourage you. As a scientist, it is important to persevere and keep trying until you find the solution.

1. What is the purpose of finding the Ka of a monoprotic acid using titration?

The Ka value of a monoprotic acid is a measure of its acidity and can provide important information about its chemical properties and behavior. By using titration to determine the Ka, scientists can better understand the acid's strength, reactivity, and potential uses in various reactions and industries.

2. How does titration help in finding the Ka of a monoprotic acid?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another solution. By recording the volume of the titrant (the solution with known concentration) needed to neutralize the acid, scientists can calculate the Ka value using the known concentrations and stoichiometry of the reaction.

3. What equipment is needed for titration to find the Ka of a monoprotic acid?

The equipment needed for titration includes a burette, a pipette, a titration flask, a pH meter or indicator, and appropriate solutions of the acid and titrant. Other equipment such as a magnetic stirrer, burette clamp, and a ring stand may also be used to facilitate the process.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Ka determination through titration?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of Ka determination through titration, including human error in measurement and recording, impurities in the solutions used, and incomplete or slow reactions. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use high-quality solutions to minimize these sources of error.

5. Can titration be used to determine the Ka of any monoprotic acid?

Yes, titration can be used to determine the Ka of any monoprotic acid as long as it is a weak acid, meaning it does not completely dissociate in water. Strong acids, on the other hand, will not require titration as their Ka values are very large and can be calculated using other methods such as conductivity measurements.