Calculating pKa from pH: Understanding Titration

• Thread starter Frankenstein19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, when titrating 100.0 mL of weak acid HA with 0.09381M NaOH, 27.63mL were required to reach the equivalence point. The pH at the equivalence point was 10.99. The pKa of HA is 9.69.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

When 100.0 mL of weak acid HA was titrated with 0.09381M NaOH, 27.63mL were required to reach the equivalence point. The pH at the equivalence point was 10.99. What is the pKa of HA

Homework Equations

pH=pKa+log([A]/[HA]

[OH]-10^(-pOH)

The Attempt at a Solution

14-10.99=3.01 this gives me pOH

From this I can calculate the concentration of OH: 0.000977237 M

Since we are at the equivalence point, to get the moles I multiplied the above concentration by 0.02763L and got 2.7*10^(-5)

I know that initially I had 0.0025919703 moles of HA

I subtract the moles of OH that react with HA and get 0.0025919703-2.7*10^(-5)=2.56399*10^(-3)

The moles of OH are the moles of A: 2.7*10^(-5)

Using pH=pKa+log([A]/[HA]

I get 10.99=pKa-1.97

Giving me a pH of 12.96 instead of 9.69 which is the correct answer

What am I doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:
I subtract the moles of OH that react with HA and get 0.0025919703-2.7*10^(-5)=2.56399*10^(-3)

Doesn't make much sense. OH- can't be at the same time present in the solution (pOH) and be the one that reacted with the acid. Either, either.

The moles of OH are the moles of A: 2.7*10^(-5)

No.

Hint: pH at the equivalence point is that of a salt of a weak acid. Can you write reaction that is responsible for the OH- production in such a solution?

Frankenstein19 said:
to get the moles I multiplied the above concentration by 0.02763L and got 2.7*10^(-5)
Are you using the correct volume. Remember you have added the NaOH solution to the HA solution.
But Borek's point still applies.

Can I ask what country you are studying in? This question has certain geographical hallmarks.I would probably fail the exam there because I would write as answer " good luck with finding the pH at the equivalence point!".I would know where the equivalence point is alright but the pH there is varying wildly. Anyway you have worked out the molarity of the NaA solution, now suppose we dissolved NaA In water to make that molarity, to ask what the pH of that solution would be, knowing that pKa, would make sense. So would the inverse question, knowing the pH what is the pKa?

It is too late at night for me to concentrate on your calculation, but there might be a mistake where you say the moles of OH-, are the moles of A?? - rather they are the moles of moles of HA aren't they? I suggest you write out the formula for Ka explicitly and then play with that – you should get a formula with a square in it that you may remember.

1. What is the relationship between pKa and pH?

The pKa value is the negative logarithm of the acid dissociation constant (Ka) and represents the strength of an acid. The pH value, on the other hand, is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. The two are related in that pKa = -log(Ka) and pH = -log[H+].

2. How do you calculate pKa from pH?

To calculate pKa from pH, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pKa = pH + log([A-]/[HA]), where [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base and [HA] is the concentration of the acid.

3. What is the significance of pKa in chemistry?

The pKa value is important in chemistry because it gives information about the strength of an acid. A lower pKa value indicates a stronger acid, while a higher pKa value indicates a weaker acid. It also helps determine the pH at which a compound will be mostly ionized or un-ionized.

4. How do you experimentally determine the pKa of an acid?

One method for determining the pKa of an acid is through titration. A titration curve is created by adding a base to an acid solution and measuring the pH at different points. The midpoint of the curve, where the pH is equal to the pKa, can be used to determine the pKa value.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of pKa calculations?

The accuracy of pKa calculations can be affected by several factors, including temperature, ionic strength, and solvent effects. Additionally, the presence of other chemicals in the solution, such as impurities or buffers, can also impact the accuracy of pKa calculations.