Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding linearly independent solutions

1. Oct 15, 2006 #1
    I'm having trouble understanding what to do for this problem. The question I'm trying to answer is: Find 3 linearly independent solutions to the following differential equation, y^(3) + 3y'' + 3y' + y = 0. I really don't know how to even start this problem and what I'm really looking for. I think I need to try to find a characteristic equation, but I don't know if it will deal with complex numbers or not. So far the only thing I can think of for the characteristic equation is r^2(r+3) + 3r + 1 = 0. Below is what I have so far.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track and if I've done these steps right so far? Also, what do I need to do next because I'm not sure how I know if I have 3 linearly independent solutions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2
    Is y^(3) supposed to be y''', the third derivative of y? If so then you're characteristic equation is r3+3r2+3r+1=0. And while this is the same thing as r2(r+3)+3r+1=0 That equation does not have the roots r=0, r=-3, and r=-1/3. Does that first equation look at all familiar maybe the cube of some binomial?
  4. Oct 15, 2006 #3
    yes y^(3) is supposed to be y''' I was told that after y'' your supposed to use y^(n). As for the characteristic function I'm getting
    r(r^2 + 3r + 3) + 1 = 0. I'm not sure how to break it down after that.
  5. Oct 15, 2006 #4
    What is (x+1)3?
  6. Oct 15, 2006 #5
    o da, thanks... okay, so I get (r+1)^3 = 0. Now for my general solution I get
    y(x) = c1(e^-x) + c2x(e^-x) + c3(x^2)(e^-x). How do I figure out the 3 linearly independent solutions?
  7. Oct 15, 2006 #6
    Is y=e-x a solution?

Is y=x*e-x a solution?

Is y=x2*e-x a solution?

Are the three linearly independent?
  8. Oct 16, 2006 #7
    thanks for the help... I was totally over thinking this question.
  9. Oct 16, 2006 #8
    No problem glad to help, I tend to overthink things a lot of the time too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?