Finding Maclaurin Error < 0.0001 for f(x)=cos(2x) at x=0.6

  • Thread starter Thread starter kenny87
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Errors Maclaurin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kenny87
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Here's the problem:

Determine the degree of Maclaurin polynomial required for the error to be less than .0001 if f(x)=cos(2x) and you are approximating f(0.6)

I really don't know what I am doing. Here's what I've tried to do:

Rn(.6) = ( (f^(n+1)(z)) / (n+1)! ) (.6)^(n+1)

I don't know where to go from here...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You must find the form of [tex]f^{n+1}(0)[/tex] first, then substitute it to Rn(0.6).
Solve the inequation : Rn(0.6) < 0.001 for n.
n is the required degree of Maclaurin polynomial for the given error.
 
Where did this come from: Rn(.6) = ( (f^(n+1)(z)) / (n+1)! ) (.6)^(n+1) ?

I would do this by trial and error, i.e calculating a larger and larger Maclaurin series expansion of cos (2x) until f(0.6) is where you need it to be.