Finding Maclaurin Series of f(x)=sin(3t^2) up to Degree 4

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
snoggerT
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
Find the MacLaurin polynomial of degree 4 for f(x)
f(x)= (integral from 0 to x) sin(3t^2)




[f^(n)(0)/n!]*x^n



The Attempt at a Solution



- I took the 4th derivative of sin(3t^2) and got:

f''''(x)= -108sin(3t^2)-1296t^2cos(3t^2)+1296t^4sin(3t^2)

Not real sure what to do from there. I plugged 0 in for t to find my f^(n)(0) and got 0,1,1,-1,-1 ...but I'm not sure if that's right. Can somebody please check my derivative and point me in the right direction for finding the series?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is easier than you're making it out to be.

Since f(x) is given by the integral, to get the degree 4 and lower terms in f(x), we need only the degree 3 and lower terms in the integrand. Then, since sin(z) = z + O(z^3), we have sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 + O(t^6), and so we need only keep the first term.
 
Avodyne said:
This problem is easier than you're making it out to be.

Since f(x) is given by the integral, to get the degree 4 and lower terms in f(x), we need only the degree 3 and lower terms in the integrand. Then, since sin(z) = z + O(z^3), we have sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 + O(t^6), and so we need only keep the first term.

- I understand what you're saying about only needing to go to the degree 3, but I'm not quite sure I get the sin(z) = z +O(t^6). Can you please explain that a little more?
 
sin(z) = z - z^3/3! + ... is the standard series for the sine function. If we substitute 3t^2 for z, we get sin(3t^2) = 3t^2 - 9t^6/3! + ... The t^6 and higher terms will not be needed, as they integrate to x^7 and higher, and we only want terms up to x^4.