Finding percentage of NH3 in a copper ammonia complex by titration

  • Thread starter Thread starter kaitoufion
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
kaitoufion
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Percentage of NH3?

Recently I've done an experiment and we are required to determine the percentage NH3 in the complex by mass.

I had no problem doing the experiment but stuck in the calculation part

Really hope someone can help me here! >.<

The experiment was done by titration, the complex we used is... (CuSO4*5H2O + H2O + NH3 + ethanol + acetone) - sorry I don't know how I should call this @.@ But those are the things we used to make that complex...

First I dissolved 0.2g of the complex with 25mL H2O, & 31.05mL of standardized 0.1M HCl was used to titrate it. Then we are required to find "%NH3"...

Can someone please kindly tell me (at least the formula that I need to use) to calculate the percentage NH3? :'(

Thanks so much! :shy:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My best guess is that your complex is tetrammine copper(II) sulfate - [Cu(NH3)4]SO4.H2O

Was it deep blue in color? Did you have to make the crystals by evaporation?