Finding pH of solutions with an acid and base

In summary, the conversation is discussing the pH of a solution formed when 0.040 mol KOH is added to 2.00 L of 0.020 m HCl. The suggested method is to set up a change table and use the Ka value to determine the pH, taking into account ionic strength if necessary. It is also mentioned that both KOH and HCl are strong, so it may just be a limiting reagent question.
mirandab17
What is the pH of the solution formed when 0.040 mol KOH is added to 2.00 L of 0.020 m HCl?

Hello all!

I'm really struggling with this. I set up the change table with the reaction of KOH + HCl <> H2O + KCl, and so I end up with Ka = x/(.01-x)(0.2-x). What Ka value would I use?

I may be completely wrong. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both are strong, so it is just a limiting reagent question. Whatever is left is responsible for the final pH. If nothing is left, than you have just water solution of NaCl.

Could be you are expected to take ionic strength into account.

What is pH and why is it important?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important because it can affect the properties and behavior of substances, as well as biological processes.

How do you find the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be found by using a pH meter or by using indicators, such as litmus paper, to determine the color change of the solution.

What is the difference between an acid and a base?

Acids are substances that donate hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while bases are substances that accept hydrogen ions or donate hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution.

What is the pH scale and what does it measure?

The pH scale is a scale that measures the acidity or basicity of a solution on a scale of 0 to 14. A pH of 7 is considered neutral, while a pH below 7 is acidic and a pH above 7 is basic.

How do you calculate the pH of a solution with an acid and base?

To calculate the pH of a solution with an acid and base, you can use the equation pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the hydrogen ion concentration. Alternatively, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the concentrations of both the acid and base in the solution.