Finding the pH of this acid and its sodium salt solution

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the pH of a salt solution using the equilibrium law and the degree of dissociation. The process is similar to finding the pOH of a weak base. It is important to know the relevant equations and make necessary assumptions. The final result was pH = 7.94, but it was noted that the number of significant figures used was incorrect.
Kaushik
Homework Statement
The Ionization constant of chloroacetic acid is ##1.35 * 10^{-3}##. What will be the pH of 0.1M acid and its 0.1M sodium salt solution?
Relevant Equations
## K_w = K_a * K_b ##, ##K_b = \frac{[OH^-][CH2ClOOH]}{[CH2ClOO^-]}##
For finding the pH of the acid, I made use of the equilibrium law (or the law of mass action) to arrive at the degree of dissociation which I later used to get the [H+] concentration.

I am stuck in finding the pH of the salt solution.

##CH2ClOO^- + H2O <---> CHClOOH + OH^-##

Could you please help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
The template asks you to write down the relevant equations. You have not done so, not even the ones you used to get your result so far. It is however however an essential step for this kind of problem.

Finding pH of a weak acid is not different from finding pOH of a weak base. If you know how to do the former, just follow the same approach to do the latter.

Likes Kaushik
Borek said:
Finding pH of a weak acid is not different from finding pOH of a weak base. If you know how to do the former, just follow the same approach to do the latter.
So is it an acidic buffer?

Kaushik said:
So is it an acidic buffer?
Your problem is about a salt.

No buffer here.

When you have solution of an acid, you can calculate concentration of H+ from the known initial concentration of the acid and its dissociation constant.

When you have solution of a base, you can do exactly the same, just instead of H+ you will be calculating concentration of OH-.

epenguin said:
The template asks you to write down the relevant equations. You have not done so, not even the ones you used to get your result so far. It is however however an essential step for this kind of problem.

Oh well, this is not the first or second time that for a problem in this area I asked for the relevant equations and that ended the thread. So I suppose as soon as you write them down you know what to do. (Ready to help but I do wonder sometimes when I see a question about some extremely standard calculation which is in all the books with worked examples!)

Anyway, for all these pH problems it is always the same, there are three equations (or for rare more complicated problems three types of equation) plus some simplifying assumptions or approximations which are essential to learn about, and also have a grasp of how good they are and their limits.

I got pH = 7.94

epenguin said:
Oh well, this is not the first or second time that for a problem in this area I asked for the relevant equations and that ended the thread. So I suppose as soon as you write them down you know what to do. (Ready to help but I do wonder sometimes when I see a question about some extremely standard calculation which is in all the books with worked examples!)

Anyway, for all these pH problems it is always the same, there are three equations (or for rare more complicated problems three types of equation) plus some simplifying assumptions or approximations which are essential to learn about, and also have a grasp of how good they are and their limits.

I got pH = 7.94
-10 pts for using the wrong # of significant figures!

1. What is the purpose of finding the pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution?

The pH of a solution is a measure of its acidity or basicity. By finding the pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution, we can determine the strength of the acid and how it will behave in various reactions. This information is important in fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

2. How do you find the pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution?

The pH of a solution can be determined by measuring the concentration of hydrogen ions (H+) in the solution. This can be done using a pH meter or through a titration process. The concentration of H+ in an acid solution will be higher, resulting in a lower pH, while the sodium salt solution will have a lower concentration of H+ and a higher pH.

3. What factors can affect the pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution?

The pH of a solution can be influenced by several factors, including the strength of the acid, the concentration of the acid and its salt, and the temperature of the solution. Other substances present in the solution can also affect the pH, such as buffers or other acids/bases that may react with the acid or salt.

4. What is the relationship between the pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution?

The pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution are inversely related. This means that as the pH of the acid decreases (becomes more acidic), the pH of the salt solution will increase (becomes more basic). This is because the acid donates hydrogen ions to the solution, while the salt solution accepts them to maintain a balance.

5. Why is it important to know the pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution?

Knowing the pH of an acid and its sodium salt solution is essential for understanding how they will react in different conditions. This information is crucial in industries such as agriculture, medicine, and manufacturing, where the pH of a solution can impact the quality and effectiveness of products. Additionally, it can help in identifying potential hazards and finding appropriate solutions to maintain a safe and stable environment.