1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding pH using ICE chart/quadratic formula on the last step!

1. Jul 24, 2012 #1
    Calculate the pH of a 0.0253 M aq solution of a monoprotic acid. The Ka for the acid is 1.79 x 10-2

So a monoprotic acid will have the form HA --> H + A, correct?

I 0.0253 0 0
    C -x x x
    E (0.0253-x) x x

EDIT: I just realized the formatting is all messed up on my chart, but it shouldn't be too difficult to discern what I'm doing.

So we have:

1.79 x 10-2 = x2/(0.0253 - x)
    0 = -x2 - 1.79x10-2x + 4.53x10-4

After using the quadratic formula, we find the acceptable value of x (the one that is positive) to be:

4.10 x 10-2 M

Now my question is: how do I find the pH? I thought I could use -log10(4.10x10-2), but apparently that's wrong.

Any help? Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method and your quadratic equation I think are OK so there must be some mistake somewhere in arithmetic.

I don't know how you know it is wrong. But I think a way to know without anyone telling you (in other words better than 'apparently', rather the sort of checkup thinking you should habitually do) is that your [H+] result is higher than the total concentration of acid that is there, which is impossible.

I went though a calc. and if you get pH 1.85 same as me it is probably not coincidence, if you get different check a bit but I also am error-prone.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook