Finding q to then raise an object, hoping someone can check this work

  • Thread starter Thread starter speny83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Work
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
speny83
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I think I've got this but not 100% sure.

if a horse can heat 11.6kg ice water T=273k to 355K in 2.5 hours how high could it raise a 217kg weight in 2.5 min?

heres what I've done

qp=mcp,sdt=(1.16E4 g)(4.18 J K-1g-1)(82K)=3.976E6 J

(3.976E6 J/2.5hr)(1hr/60min)(2.5min)=6.627E4 J

h=w/mg=6.627E4 J/((217 kg)(9.81m s-2))=31.1m

does this seem legit? we working with all this rev/irr-rev work and transfer and I am getting really mixed up by simple stuff but if p=const then it would be irreversible right?


any suggestions would be great if I am way off track

Thnaks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me (I haven't checked the numbers, just skimmed the logic), but your comment about reversibility/irreversibility makes me wonder if there is not some context to the question which makes it more complicated. But if treated literally as posted - its OK.