Finding reaction orders for bromination of acetone from kinetic data

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sassenav22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rate Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Sassenav22
Messages
29
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The bromination of acetone is catalyzed by acid.

CH3COCH3 + Br2 + H2O ------> CH3COCH2 + Br- + H3O+

The rate disappearance of bromine was measured for several different initial concentration of acetone, bromine and hydronium ion as represented in the following table

Initial concentration
(mol L-1) Initial of rate of change [Br2] (x10-5)
Run [CH3COCH][Br2][H3O+] (mol-s s-1)
1 0.30 0.05 0.05 5.7
2 0.30 0.10 0.05 5.7
3 0.30 0.05 0.10 12.0
4 0.40 0.05 0.20 31.0
5 0.40 0.05 0.05 7.6Deduce the order of the reaction with respect to each reactant and also the overall order of the reaction.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

[CH3COCH3]

Rate 4/Rate 3 = 31e10-5/12e10-5=k(0.40)en(0.05)em/k(0.30)en(0.05)en
= 2.58 =1.33en

n=2.08

This is not right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. someone please help me.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't quite understand the table itself.
 
Yeah the table didn't come out right.

But I figured out how to work the problem.