Finding recoil velocity of an object during a collision

In summary: I think that the answer is 0.71 * 10^7 m/s.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cosmic-ray photon and an oxygen nucleus colliding in the atmosphere. The aim of the problem is to determine the recoil velocity of the oxygen nucleus after the collision. The participants discuss the relevant equations and perform calculations to arrive at the answer of 0.71 * 10^7 m/s. However, there is a discussion about the need for relativistic calculations and the use of significant figures in the final answer.
jigsaw21
Hello. I recently began this problem, but the site I'm working this problem on isn't showing me whether the answer is correct or not. Can someone please check my work and just verify that it's correct or state if it isn't and why?

1. Homework Statement

A cosmic-ray photon (with mass m = 1 at. mass unit) from outer space arrives with velocity 6.0 * 10^7 m/s, when it makes a head-oncollision with an oxygen nucleus (with mass M = 16 amu), part of an oxygen molecule in the atmosphere. Subsequently the proton bounces backward with velocity 5.3 * 10^7 m/s. What is the recoil velocity of the oxygen nucleus in m/s ?

Homework Equations

The relevant equations for this question are with momentum conservation, p(initial) = p(final)
p(initial) = m*v(photon) + M*v(oxygen nucleus)
p(final) = m*v(photon-final) + M*v(recoil velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was calculate P(initial).

After converting atomic mass units to kg's, the mass of m (1 amu) in kg's would be 1.66*10^-27kg. Multiplying that by the initial velocity of the photon (6.0*10^7 m/s) would give me 9.96 * 10^-20 kg m/s. Since it doesn't indicate, I'm assuming that the oxygen molecule is at rest, and thus it's M*v would be 0. So the entire P(initial) would just be 9.96*10^-20 kg m/s

I then calculated P(final), which would be m*v(photon-final) + M * v(oxygen molecule-final), which was (1.66*10^-27 kg)(-5.3 * 10^7 m/s) + (2.66 * 10^-26 kg)* v(oxygen-final). And this simplified to -8.798 * 10^-20 kg m/s + (2.66 * 10^-26 kg)*v(oxygen-final)

After setting P(initial) = P(final), combining like terms and solving algebraically, I ended up with a final answer for v(oxygen-final) of 0.7 * 10^7 m/s.

There's no way for me to check if this was correct.

Is this the correct answer? Intuitively, it looked like it to me since the mass of the oxygen molecule was 16 times larger, so thus it would be more difficult for it to move anywhere near as fast as the photon initially moved or even to match the negative velocity the photon traveled with after the collision.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac v c =\frac 1 5## ,not so negligible,so you have to perform relativistic calculations

Last edited:
I wonder how a photon could have a mass.
jigsaw21 said:
Hello. I recently began this problem, but the site I'm working this problem on isn't showing me whether the answer is correct or not. Can someone please check my work and just verify that it's correct or state if it isn't and why?

1. Homework Statement

A cosmic-ray photon (with mass m = 1 at. mass unit) from outer space arrives with velocity 6.0 * 10^7 m/s, when it makes a head-oncollision with an oxygen nucleus (with mass M = 16 amu), part of an oxygen molecule in the atmosphere

jigsaw21 said:

Homework Statement

A cosmic-ray photon (with mass m = 1 at. mass unit) from outer space arrives with velocity 6.0 * 10^7 m/s, when it makes a head-oncollision with an oxygen nucleus (with mass M = 16 amu), part of an oxygen molecule in the atmosphere. Subsequently the proton bounces backward with velocity 5.3 * 10^7 m/s. What is the recoil velocity of the oxygen nucleus in m/s ?
I suspect that OP meant to say cosmic ray proton .

Yes, sorry about that. That should've been proton!

Raihan amin said:
##\frac v c =\frac 1 {20}## ,not so negligible,so you have to perform relativistic calculations

In this course, we haven't gotten to relativistic calculations at all yet. The topic we're on is conservation of momentum, impulse, force and center of mass.

Can anyone else tell me if I'm on the right track with this question, or if I'm not?

jigsaw21 said:
Can anyone else tell me if I'm on the right track with this question, or if I'm not?
Yes, you are on the right track.

You can simplify your calculations somewhat by noticing that M = 16⋅m .

To check your answer:
Initial momentum = ##\ m \cdot v_{p\text{-initial}} = m\cdot (6.0\times10^{7} ) \ ##

Final momentum = ##\ m \cdot v_{p\text{-final}} + M \cdot v_{o\text{-final}}= m\cdot (-5.3\times10^{7} ) + 16\cdot m\cdot (0.7\times 10^{7}) \ ##

## = m \cdot (5.9 \times 10^{7} ) ##​

That's good to plus or minus 1 for the 2nd significant digit.

Using 2 significant figures in your final answer should give the velocity of the Oxygen nucleus to be 0.71×107 m/s, which is rounded from 0.706×107 m/s .

jigsaw21 said:
After converting atomic mass units to kg's,
Why bother? All masses given use the same units, so any units conversion will cancel out.
jigsaw21 said:
0.7 * 10^7 m/s.
Yes, but I would give it to two significant figures to match the precisions of the given velocities.

I didn't even think to try going backwards and checking, but thanks for that!
I also didn't think to simplify the mass to be 16m

SammyS said:
Yes, you are on the right track.

You can simplify your calculations somewhat by noticing that M = 16⋅m .

To check your answer:
Initial momentum = ##\ m \cdot v_{p\text{-initial}} = m\cdot (6.0\times10^{7} ) \ ##

Final momentum = ##\ m \cdot v_{p\text{-final}} + M \cdot v_{o\text{-final}}= m\cdot (-5.3\times10^{7} ) + 16\cdot m\cdot (0.7\times 10^{7}) \ ##

## = m \cdot (5.9 \times 10^{7} ) ##​

That's good to plus or minus 1 for the 2nd significant digit.

Using 2 significant figures in your final answer should give the velocity of the Oxygen nucleus to be 0.71×107 m/s, which is rounded from 0.706×107 m/s .

1. How is recoil velocity calculated during a collision?

Recoil velocity is calculated by using the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after a collision. This means that the mass of the object, its initial velocity, and the mass and velocity of the other object involved in the collision are all taken into account to determine the recoil velocity.

2. Does the shape of the objects involved in the collision affect the recoil velocity?

Yes, the shape of the objects can affect the recoil velocity. Objects with different shapes have different moments of inertia, which can affect the distribution of mass and therefore the recoil velocity. This is why it is important to consider the shape of the objects when calculating recoil velocity.

3. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated recoil velocity?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated recoil velocity include the precision of the measurements taken, any external forces acting on the objects during the collision, and any assumptions made in the calculations. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors to ensure an accurate calculation of recoil velocity.

4. Can the recoil velocity be negative?

Yes, the recoil velocity can be negative. This occurs when the object that is initially moving collides with a stationary object and then moves in the opposite direction. The negative recoil velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

5. How is the recoil velocity of an object during a collision used in real-world applications?

The recoil velocity of an object during a collision is used in many real-world applications, such as designing safety features for vehicles, understanding the impact of collisions in sports, and predicting the effects of collisions in space debris. It is also important in engineering and manufacturing processes, as well as in the study of particle collisions in physics research.