Finding recursive relations in Mathematica

In summary, it is possible to ask Mathematica to find a recurrent relation that expresses any Pk as a function of the previous polynomials Pk-1, Pk-2....
mnb96
Hello,
I have a sequence of polynomials defined in the following way:
[tex]P_k(x) = \frac{\partial^k}{\partial x^k}e^{s(x)}\vert_{x=0}[/tex]

Essentially the polynomial Pk is the k-th derivative of [itex]\exp(s(x))[/itex] evaluated at x=0. The function s(x) is a polynomial of 2nd degree in x.

In mathematica I define the polynomials with the following code:

D[Exp[s[x]], {x, k}]

For k=1..n one obtains a list of n polynomials P1(x),...,Pn(x).
My question is: is it possible to ask Mathematica to find a recurrent relation that expresses any Pk as a function of the previous polynomials Pk-1, Pk-2... ? (assuming it exists).

A similar well-known problem exists for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermite_polynomials#Definition"

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try

Code:
In[1]:= s[x_] := a x^2+b x+c

In[2]:= poly[k_] = Simplify[SeriesCoefficient[Exp[s[x]], {x, 0, k}], k>0]

Out[2]= DifferenceRoot[Function[{y,n}, 
       {-2 a y[n] - b y[1+n] + (2+n) y[2+n]==0, y[0]==E^c,  y[1]==b E^c} ]]

The above shows the difference equation (recurrence relation) and the initial conditions that the polynomials must satisfy for any given quadratic s[x]. We can now use the recurrence relation to calculate the sequence. Below we compare calculating using poly[n] (the DifferenceRoot object) and Recurrence table

Code:
In[11]:= dr = Table[poly[n], {n, 0, 20}]; // Timing
         drExp = Expand[dr]; // Timing

Out[11]= {0.21, Null}
Out[12]= {1.57, Null}

In[13]:= rt = RecurrenceTable[{-2 a y[n] - b y[1 + n] + (2 + n) y[2 + n] == 0, 
               y[0] == E^c, y[1] == b E^c}, y, {n, 0, 20}]; // Timing
         rtExp = Expand[rt]; // Timing

Out[13]= {0.01, Null}
Out[14]= {1.66, Null}

In[15]:= dr == rt
Out[15]= True

In[16]:= drExp == rtExp
Out[16]= True

The problem is that both evaluating the DifferenceRoot poly[k] and using RecurrenceTable, whilst great for purely numeric functions, are horrible for symbolic functions such as the one above. the reason for this is that they don't simplify y[n] after every step and end up with a terrible mess, e.g.

Code:
In[17]:= dr[[6]]
         drExp[[6]]
Out[17]= 1/5 (2/3 a (2 a b E^c+1/2 b (2 a E^c+b^2 E^c))+1/4 b (a (2 a E^c+b^2 E^c)+1/3 b (2 a b E^c+1/2 b (2 a E^c+b^2 E^c))))
Out[18]= 1/2 a^2 b E^c+1/6 a b^3 E^c+(b^5 E^c)/120

Finally, compare calculating by taking derivatives with calculating using http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/FunctionsThatRememberValuesTheyHaveFound.html" (in the latter, it's the Expand that makes the difference compared to the DifferenceRoot and RecurrenceTable options given above)

Code:
In[25]:= deriv=Table[1/k! D[Exp[s[x]], {x,k}] /. x->0, {k, 0, 100}]//Expand;//Timing
Out[25]= {0.36, Null}

In[26]:= Clear[y]
         y[n_Integer?Positive] := y[n] = 1/n (2 a y[-2+n] + b y[-1+n]) //Expand
         y[0] = E^c;
         y[1] = b E^c;

In[30]:= mem = Table[y[n], {n, 0, 100}]//Expand;//Timing
Out[30]= {0.3, Null}

In[31]:= deriv==mem
Out[31]= True

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you want the recurrence relation for the polynomials not evaluated at x=0, try

Code:
s[x_] := a x^2 + b x + c
poly[k_] = Simplify[SeriesCoefficient[Exp[s[x]], {x, x, k}], k > 0]

which returns

Code:
DifferenceRoot[Function[{y,n},
   {-2 a y[n] - (b + 2 a x) y[1+n] + (2+n) y[2+n]==0,
   y[0]==E^(c+b x+a x^2),  y[1]==(b+2 a x) E^(c+b x+a x^2)}
   ]][k]

I must have had my brain turned off this morning, since I didn't mention that what you supplied was an exponential generating function. Just google "generating function recursion relation" to find stuff on how to approach these problems more generally. In particular the free book "generatingfunctionology" is worth reading (not that I can remember much of it)

Thanks a lot for the answers!
Your hint about generating functions was also very useful. I hadn't thought about that!

1. What is a recursive relation in Mathematica?

A recursive relation in Mathematica is a mathematical formula or rule that refers to itself in order to calculate a sequence of values. This allows for the creation of complex patterns and functions using a simple base case and a recursive step.

2. How do I identify a recursive relation in Mathematica?

To identify a recursive relation in Mathematica, look for patterns or sequences in the data that can be expressed using a simple base case and a recursive step. This can also be done by looking for repeated calculations or operations in a function.

3. How do I write a recursive relation in Mathematica?

To write a recursive relation in Mathematica, you can use the built-in function "RecurrenceTable" or define your own recursive function using the "Function" or "Module" commands. It is important to make sure that the recursive step eventually leads to the base case to avoid an infinite loop.

4. Can I use recursive relations to solve complex problems in Mathematica?

Yes, recursive relations can be used to solve a wide range of problems in Mathematica, such as calculating factorials, Fibonacci sequences, and solving differential equations. They can also be used to create fractal patterns and optimize algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to using recursive relations in Mathematica?

While recursive relations can be a powerful tool, they may not always be the most efficient or accurate method for solving certain problems. In some cases, a direct formula or iterative approach may be more suitable. It is important to consider the problem at hand and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.