Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica Numerical solution of integral equation with parameters

1. Jan 13, 2017 #1
    Hello! Could you tell me about how to take the next numerical calculation in mathematica? (perhaps there are special packages).
    I have an expression (in reality slightly more complex):

## V=x^2 + \int_a^b x \sqrt{x^2-m^2} \left(\text Log \left(e^{-\left(\beta \left(\sqrt{\left(\sqrt{l^2-m^2}+U\right)^2+(m+x)^2+N}+u\right)\right)}+1\right)\right) \, dl ##

Code ( (Unknown Language)):

V=x^2+\!\(
    \*SubsuperscriptBox[\(\[Integral]\), \(a\), \(b\)]\(l
    \*SqrtBox[\(
    \*SuperscriptBox[\(l\), \(2\)] -
    \*SuperscriptBox[\(m\), \(2\)]\)] \(Log(1 +
    \*SuperscriptBox[\(e\), \(-\(\[Beta](u +
    \*SqrtBox[\(
    \*SuperscriptBox[\((
    \*SqrtBox[\(
    \*SuperscriptBox[\(l\), \(2\)] -
    \*SuperscriptBox[\(m\), \(2\)]\)] + U)\), \(2\)] +
    \*SuperscriptBox[\((m + x)\), \(2\)] + N\)])\)\)])\) \[DifferentialD]l\)\)

where ##x## is function of ##l##; ##m##, ##N## are constants; ##\beta##, ##u##, ##U## are parameters.
    I need to find the dependence ##U## on ##u## and ##\beta## (in order to draw graph) from an equation:
    ##\frac {\partial V} {\partial x}=0##
    (##x## will be needed to set a constant after differentiation; In reality,there is not the derivative, but a variation)

If I have an integral (without parameters) rather than equation, I would try to do the following ones:

1) to define the a region of integration (due to graphical representation of function)
    2) to tabulate integrand
    3) to calculate the integral that is to get a number.

Nevertheless I have the equation, which probably requires other method. I would appreciate Mathematica literature on this subject, or help.

I do not know how actual it is to calculate integral equation, but the integral can be led to another kind:
    ## x \sqrt{x^2-m^2} \left(\text {Log} \left(e^{-\left(\beta \left(\sqrt{\left(\sqrt{l^2-m^2}+U\right)^2+(m+x)^2+N}+u\right)\right)}+1\right)\right) \to ##
    ## \left(x^2-m^2\right)^{3/2} \frac{\text{$\cosh(\beta $u)} +\exp \left(-\beta \sqrt{\left(\sqrt{l^2-m^2}+U\right)^2+(m+x+y)^2+(q+z)^2}\right)}{\text{$\cosh (\beta $u)} -\cosh \left(\beta \sqrt{\left(\sqrt{l^2-m^2}+U\right)^2+(m+x+y)^2+(q+z)^2}\right)} ##

Code ( (Unknown Language)):

(x^2-m^2)^(3/2) (cosh(\[Beta]u)+exp(-\[Beta] Sqrt[(Sqrt[l^2-m^2]+U)^2+(m+x+y)^2+(z+q)^2]))/(cosh(\[Beta]u)-cosh(\[Beta] Sqrt[(Sqrt[l^2-m^2]+U)^2+(m+x+y)^2+(z+q)^2]))

Perhaps it was necessary to start with something simpler. Let

##V=x^2+\int_{a}^{b} x u U \beta l dl##

##\frac {\partial V} {\partial x}=0##

##x## is assumed a constant after differentiating.

##\int_a^b \beta l u U \, dl+2 x=0##

##U=\frac{4 x}{\beta u \left(a^2+b^2\right)}##

In all I get the dependency ##U##, on ##u## and ##\beta##

I need to do the same if the integral is not taken analytically.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2017 #2
    Can you help me understand your simple example. For starters you arrive at the conclusion that U is a function of x. However, when you differentiate the integral term by x you ignore this dependence. Second you state the x is a function of l. If this is the case then you should not ignore this dependence when evaluating the integral.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted