Finding satellite altitude from gravitational force and potential energy

  • Thread starter Thread starter ninjagowoowoo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Satellite
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
ninjagowoowoo
Messages
75
Reaction score
0
When in orbit, a communication satellite attracts the Earth with a force of 16.7 kN and the earth-satellite gravitational potential energy (relative to zero at infinite separation) is - 1.43*10^11 J. Find the satellite's altitude above the Earth's surface. The radius of the Earth is 6.38*10^6.

OK, I must be making this harder than it needs to be. What I've been trying to do is to use the formulas for gravitational force to get an equation with two unknow variables (Mass of the satellite and height above Earth's surface) And I do the same for gravitational potential energy. Then, since both equations have the same two unknown variables, I solve for one of them and substitute. Is there another way of doing this? Am I doing it copmletely wrong? Please help me! :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You sound like you have the right idea. Give it a shot.
 
Total Energy of a satellite revolving around Earth is given by:

[itex]- \frac{GMm}{2r}[/itex]

BJ


Note:This post has been edited after Older Dan's remarks.
 
Last edited:
Dr.Brain said:
Potential Energy of a satellite revolving around Earth is given by:

[itex]- \frac{GMm}{2r}[/itex]

BJ
There is no 2 in the potential energy. Perhaps you meant the total energy

[itex]U = - \frac{GMm}{r}[/itex]

[itex]T = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{r}{2} \left( \frac{mv^2}{r} \right) = \frac{r}{2} \left| F_c \right| = \frac{r}{2} \left( \frac{GMm}{r^2} \right) = \frac{GMm}{2r} = -\frac{1}{2} U[/itex]

[itex]E\ \ =\ \ T\ \ +\ \ U = \frac{GMm}{2r}\ \ -\ \ \frac{GMm}{r}\ \ =\ \ - \frac{GMm}{2r}[/itex]