Finding second furthest distance of const interference from 2 sources

In summary, the conversation is about finding the wavelength using the equation v/f = 0.8995 and using distances of x and sqrt(9.7^2+x^2). The person takes the derivative of the left side to find the maximum but realizes their approach may be incorrect. They eventually simplify the equation and determine that n decreases as x increases. They also find the largest possible x without solving a quadratic equation.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
d2-d1=n(wavelength)
So I can find the wavelength using v/f = 0.8995. for the distances, d=x and d=sqrt(9.7^2+x^2). So the full equation would be

sqrt(9.7^2+x^2)-x=n(0.8995)

Now I am going to take the derivative of the left side to see where the maxima is.

0= sqrt(x2+9409/100)−x

Now this doesn't have a solution so there is no maximum? I guess that makes sense because as x increases the overall expression decreases.

But now I am pretty sure my whole approach is inccorect. I am not really sure now how to find the highest x where const interference occurs. I could just say n=10000, but the x where n=1000000000 would be even higher ect. I don't think taking the limit will help either.

The answer is 25.25 btw

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 77
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
Now I am going to take the derivative of the left side to see where the maxima is.
Your quadratic already determines the values of x at which the waves produce a local maximum.
And how do you get 0= sqrt(x2+9409/100)−x by taking a derivative of it? Looks like you simply set n=0.

First, I strongly recommend working symbolically. Only plug in numbers at the end. So you have ##\sqrt{w^2+x^2}-x=n\lambda##.
See if you can simplify that.
Next, think about what happens to n as x increases. Does it increase or decrease?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Your quadratic already determines the values of x at which the waves produce a local maximum.
And how do you get 0= sqrt(x2+9409/100)−x by taking a derivative of it? Looks like you simply set n=0.

First, I strongly recommend working symbolically. Only plug in numbers at the end. So you have ##\sqrt{w^2+x^2}-x=n\lambda##.
See if you can simplify that.
Next, think about what happens to n as x increases. Does it increase or decrease?
I don't think you can simplify. It decreases?

JoeyBob said:
I don't think you can simplify.
Sure you can. How do you get rid of a square root?
JoeyBob said:
It decreases?
Yes, so for the largest possible x, what will n be?

Likes JoeyBob
You can do this without a quadratic or, at least, with an expression in which the x2 term cancels out.

Y

Without having to solve a quadratic

You have a right angled triangle where one side is 9.7, one side is the distance x you're looking for and the hypotenuse must be x + nλ

So start with n=1 and put

(x + λ)² = x² + 9.7² and solve for x

Then repeat for
(x +2λ)² = x² + 9.7² and (x + 3λ)² = x² + 9.7²

It gave me the answer you're looking for.

haruspex said:
Sure you can. How do you get rid of a square root?

You square it. Yeah I figured it out from that, thanks.

1. What is the concept of "finding second furthest distance of const interference from 2 sources"?

The concept refers to the process of determining the distance at which two sources of constant interference, such as sound or light waves, produce a secondary interference pattern. This distance is known as the second furthest distance.

2. How is the second furthest distance of const interference calculated?

The second furthest distance is calculated by using the formula: d = λ/2, where d is the distance, and λ is the wavelength of the interfering waves.

3. Can the second furthest distance be greater than the distance between the two sources?

No, the second furthest distance cannot be greater than the distance between the two sources. It is always equal to half the wavelength of the interfering waves.

4. What is the significance of finding the second furthest distance of const interference?

Finding the second furthest distance can help in understanding the behavior of waves and their interference patterns. It can also be used in various applications, such as in sound engineering or in the study of light waves.

5. Are there any real-life examples of finding the second furthest distance of const interference?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of this concept. For instance, in concert halls, sound engineers use this concept to determine the optimal distance between speakers to produce the best sound quality. Another example is in the study of diffraction patterns in light, where the second furthest distance is used to analyze the interference pattern produced by two sources of light.