Finding some Solar Energy books/articles

In summary, the speaker is a newbie in the field of solar energy and is seeking book recommendations for intro books/articles and PV system simulation books. They mention that their major in university is Solid State Physics and Computational Physics and they are willing to read books related to those fields. They also ask for more information about the speaker's project and mention MPPT and anti-islanding as important aspects of solar energy conversion. They tag three users for more help.
Nguyen Son
Hi everybody, I'm working on a Solar Energy project and I'm a newbie in this field.
Could you suggest some good intro books/articles and PV system simulation books? (I'm using MATLAB)
Note that my major in university are Solid State Physics and Computational Physics so I will not hesitate to read books based on those fields.
Thank you so much :bow:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nguyen Son said:
Hi everybody, I'm working on a Solar Energy project and I'm a newbie in this field.
Could you suggest some good intro books/articles and PV system simulation books? (I'm using MATLAB)
Note that my major in university are Solid State Physics and Computational Physics so I will not hesitate to read books based on those fields.
Thank you so much :bow:
Can you say more about your project? What aspects of solar energy are you exploring with your project and simulations?

For example, are you familiar with MPPT and why it is so important in solar energy conversion applications?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_point_tracking

And are you familiar with the very important "Anti-Islanding" feature that is needed when tying a solar generation facility to the Grid?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islanding

The more information that you can give us, the better we can help you out. Paging @OmCheeto @anorlunda

1. What are some recommended books/articles on solar energy?

Some recommended books/articles on solar energy include "Solar Energy: The Physics and Engineering of Photovoltaic Conversion, Technologies and Systems" by Olindo Isabella, "Solar Energy: A Reference Handbook" by David E. Newton, and "Renewable Energy: Power for a Sustainable Future" by Godfrey Boyle.

2. Are there any beginner-friendly books/articles on solar energy?

Yes, there are many beginner-friendly books/articles on solar energy. Some examples include "Solar Power Your Home For Dummies" by Rik DeGunther, "Solar Electricity Handbook" by Michael Boxwell, and "Solar Energy for Beginners: The Complete Guide to Solar Power Systems, Panels & Cells" by Arnold Reston.

3. Where can I find free online resources on solar energy?

There are numerous free online resources on solar energy, including articles, research papers, and educational materials. Some good places to start include the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) website, the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) website, and the U.S. Department of Energy's Energy Information Administration (EIA) website.

4. Are there any books/articles specifically about the history of solar energy?

Yes, there are several books/articles that focus on the history of solar energy. Some examples include "The History of Solar Energy" by John Perlin, "Harnessing the Sun: The Story of Solar Energy" by John Gibbons, and "The Solar Revolution: One World. One Solution. Providing the Energy and Food for 10 Billion People" by Steve McKevitt.

5. Can you recommend any books/articles on the future of solar energy?

There are many books/articles that discuss the future of solar energy. Some recommended titles include "The Future of Solar Energy" by Gary W. Evans, "The Solar Economy: Renewable Energy for a Sustainable Global Future" by Hermann Scheer, and "The Solar Secret: Discover the Possibilities of Solar Energy" by John Perlin.