Finding the coefficient of friction (mew) DUE TOMOROW

In summary, in a physics class curling experiment, data was collected for both sweeping and non-sweeping trials. The distance and time were measured and mass of the stone was given. To calculate the average coefficient of friction, the force of friction needs to be found. This can be done by assuming linear deceleration and using the given data to calculate the force using "vusat" equations.
newton2008
Finding the coefficient of friction (mew) DUE TOMOROW :(

Our physics class went curling, and this is the data we had to collect..

Without Sweeping

Trial 1 Trial 2 Trial 3 Trial 4 Trial 5 Trial 6 Trial 7
Time (s) 21.37 21.70 21.65 21.95 20.47 20.69 22.30
Distance (m) 115.50 145.50 125.50 112.00 28.00 28.50 261.50

With Sweeping

Trial 1 Trial 2 Trial 3 Trial 4 Trial 5 Trial 6 Trial 7
Time (s) 22.06 20.75 24.31 21.50 22.13 21.87 18.15
Distance (m) 147.00 75.50 320.00 18.00 255.00 198.00 42.00

Distances are measured past the second hog line, add 868 inches, and convert to metres.

Mass of Stone = 20 kg (2 sig. digs)
1 ft. = 0.3048 m

One of the question asks to: Calculate the average coefficients of friction with and without sweeping.

So I calculated the Fn = (20)(9.81) = 196.2 N

But the Force of Friction = (mew) * (Fn)

How am i supposed to find the force of friction? So then i can find the (mew)

someone pleaseeeee help

Physics news on Phys.org
i suppose you could assume the decceleration due to friction was linear in time so, knowing the final speed, time and distance, you could calculate the decceleration and hence the force using the "vusat" equations

I would recommend starting by organizing the data into a table or graph to better visualize the relationship between time and distance for both trials. From there, you can calculate the average speed for each trial by dividing the distance by the time. This will give you a better understanding of how the sweeping affected the speed of the stone.

To find the force of friction, you will need to use the equation Ff = μFn, where μ is the coefficient of friction and Fn is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is the weight of the stone, which you have already calculated as 196.2 N. So, by rearranging the equation, you can solve for μ by dividing the force of friction by the normal force.

It is important to note that the coefficient of friction can vary depending on the surface and conditions, so your results may not be exactly the same as those of other groups. However, by calculating the average coefficient of friction for both trials, you can compare the effectiveness of sweeping in reducing friction. I suggest also considering other factors that may have affected the results, such as the technique used for sweeping and the surface of the ice. Good luck with your calculations and analysis!

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction, denoted as "mew" (µ), is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact with each other.

Why is finding the coefficient of friction important?

Finding the coefficient of friction is important because it helps us understand the amount of force needed to move an object over another surface. It is also essential in designing and engineering various products and structures, as well as determining the safety and efficiency of different materials.

What factors affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be influenced by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the presence of lubricants or contaminants, and the applied force.

How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction can be measured using a variety of methods, including the inclined plane method, the block on block method, and the drag method. These methods involve calculating the ratio of the force required to move an object to the normal force exerted on the object.

Can the coefficient of friction be negative?

No, the coefficient of friction cannot be negative. It is always a positive value or zero, depending on the nature of the surfaces in contact and the presence of external factors.

Back