1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Density of States of Radiation Oscillators

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the density of states if the radiation oscillators are confined to a square (i.e. in two dimensions).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This was one of the questions for my Modern Physics class, (we recently covered blackbody radiation), although based on the research I have been doing in hopes of understanding it, I think it has to do with Quantum Statistics. I have no idea what to do here, or how to start as I have not taken a quantum course.

Of the stuff I've looked over in my modern textbook and online, I see that density of states can be found by taking the derivative of an equation representing the number of states in an area/volume with respect to energy. However, I have no idea how to find an equation for the number of states in a volume/area in the first place. Could anyone guide me on what to do for this problem?
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3
    Thank you! I looked for hours trying to find something that makes sense but nothing clicked until ^ this article.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook