Finding the Density of States of Radiation Oscillators

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
digipony
Messages
35
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the density of states if the radiation oscillators are confined to a square (i.e. in two dimensions).

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



This was one of the questions for my Modern Physics class, (we recently covered blackbody radiation), although based on the research I have been doing in hopes of understanding it, I think it has to do with Quantum Statistics. I have no idea what to do here, or how to start as I have not taken a quantum course.

Of the stuff I've looked over in my modern textbook and online, I see that density of states can be found by taking the derivative of an equation representing the number of states in an area/volume with respect to energy. However, I have no idea how to find an equation for the number of states in a volume/area in the first place. Could anyone guide me on what to do for this problem?
Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you! I looked for hours trying to find something that makes sense but nothing clicked until ^ this article.