Finding the derivative of t²(2√t - 1/√t)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Draggu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Draggu
Messages
101
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


(1/2)t^2[(2[tex]\sqrt{t}[/tex])-(1/[tex]\sqrt{t}[/tex])]

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



No matter what I do I get the wrong answer
Things I have tried:
-Expanding the problem, then with the derivatives use the product rule (f)(g') + (g)(f')
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see what you did. Then we can point out where you're going wrong.
 
=(1/2)t^2[(2t^(1/2)) - (t^(-1/2))]
=t^(5/2) - (1/2)^(3/2)
Use product rule

= ((5/2)t^(3/2))*((-1/2t)^(3/2)) + ((-3/4t)^(1/2))*(t^(5/2))
=(-5/4)t^3 + (-3/4)t^3
= -7/4t^3

Evidently wrong.

The correct answer on the sheet is [([tex]\sqrt{t}[/tex](10t-3)/(4)]
 
Draggu said:
=(1/2)t^2[(2t^(1/2)) - (t^(-1/2))]
=t^(5/2) - (1/2)^(3/2)

That should be [itex]t^{5/2}-\frac{1}{2}t^{3/2}[/itex] (you're missing the [itex]t[/itex] in the second term).

Use product rule

Why? You don't have a product anymore! Just differentiate term by term.
 
Tom Mattson said:
That should be [itex]t^{5/2}-\frac{1}{2}t^{3/2}[/itex] (you're missing the [itex]t[/itex] in the second term).



Why? You don't have a product anymore! Just differentiate term by term.

What do i do then? ;s

I'm stuck with t^(5/2) - (1/2)t^(3/2)
 
Draggu said:
What do i do then? ;s

Just differentiate term by term.

Surely you know how to differentiate [itex]at^n[/itex] with respect to [itex]t[/itex], right? :confused: