Finding the food web section on the sea vents page

  • Thread starter Thread starter AngelShare
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Food
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 14K views
AngelShare
Messages
208
Reaction score
0
"Exploring the Abyss"-- Food Webs of the Sea

Directions:

1. Create a chart to show five different animals found at great depths. The chart needs to include the name of the organism, characteristics, and special adaptations for surviving in that habitat.
2. Create a food web for the habitat. Be sure to label the organisms as producers (if any), such as primary consumers.


I'm on part two...

"Click this photo for more information: At this site, be sure to check out the Food Web section."

http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/OCEAN_PLANET/HTML/ps_vents.html

I looked but I can't seem to find "the Food Web section". Could someone point it out to me if they can find it? I hope I'm not just overlooking something that's in plain view.:blushing:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming my getting no replies means that no one else can find it?:smile:
 
did you try the web? here is one of the first hits I found on the net. http://pubs.nsta.org/galapagos/activities/marine.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I tried but I couldn't seem to find a food web that went down far enough...I'm supposed to be creating a food web that's for a particular depth.

Here are the other links we were given for the other part of the assignment.

http://www.Earth'sky.org/shows/show.php?date=20030906
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/abyss/life/extremes.html
http://www.amnh.org/nationalcenter/expeditions/blacksmokers/black_smokers.html
http://www.ocean.udel.edu/extreme2002/creatures/index.html

The chart I made included the following fish:

Gulpers (Saccopharynx lavenbergi)
Fangtooth (Anoplogaster cornuta)
Viperfish (Chauliodus sloani)
Umbrellamouth Gulper (Eurypharynx pelecanoides)
Anglerfish (Cryptopsaras couesi)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One useful approach is to search using key words "food web" and "?" where you substitute either the common name, genus or genus & species for ? Be sure to use double quotes when searching for a unique string (more than one word in sequence).
 
I tried, I failed... No one else can find the "Food Web section" in that other link or something else elsewhere?:frown:
 
It seems they have left the research of food webs up to you.
Here is a description of http://oceanlink.island.net/oinfo/foodweb/foodweb.html , perhaps you can determine the relationships of your organisms based on their information.
 
Last edited by a moderator: