Finding the freezing point of water at high pressures

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Irishpixiie
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the freezing point of water at the bottom of the ocean where the pressure is 32.52bar

Homework Equations



Clausius-Clapeyron equation in the form of:
ln(p2/p1) = deltaHfusion/R * ((1/t2)-(1/t1))

Where the deltaHfusion is 6.008*10^3 J/mol
where the temperature of fusion (T1) equals 273.15

The Attempt at a Solution



this is what I did so far:

ln(32.52bar/1.00bar)= (6.008*10^3 J/mol/8.314 J/K*mol) * ((1/t2)-(1/273.15))
The first time I solved for T2
But then I was thinking that I should have accounted for the density change but then I got stuck because I don't know how to account for this in the formula above, so should I do it before I use this formula.

If someone could just help me with the steps of this problem I know that I can get the rest of it. I have hit a wall on where to go from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Irishpixiie said:
1.

Clausius-Clapeyron equation in the form of:
ln(p2/p1) = deltaHfusion/R * ((1/t2)-(1/t1))



Where did this come from? If from pv = RT then it's not applicable since we're not dealing with an ideal gas.

Work with the basic dp/dT = l/TΔv instead. Use definite integrals!