1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the geodesic function for scalar * function= scalar

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    56baaad965b3374c53c31863fac4d60e.png

In this expression the junk on the left is a scalar. The stuff before the integral is another scalar. The integral is a time-like curve between x1 and x2 and at imagine fgf(x1) is a lower left corner of the rectangle and fgf(x2) is the upper right corner and x2-x1 is the length of the base of the rectangle. I know the geodesic is the shortest distance curve paramaerized by this on the condition that the area (the integral) times the scalar1 = scalar2. The solution isn't a strait line but could be some curved function. How do I find the function fgf ?

Do i need to find the 2x2 metric tensor for the 2-d paramaterization curve and solve a pair of differential equations like here ?

http://count.ucsc.edu/~rmont/classes/121A/polarChristoffelE_Lag.pdf

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?