Finding the Inverse Function of tanh(x) in the Interval (-1,1)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
annaphys
Messages
69
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



##f:= tanh = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}##

Prove that
##f^{-1}(x)= \sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2k+1}}{2k+1}## for all x in (-1,1)

The Attempt at a Solution


I also found the inverse function to be:

##f^{-1}(x)= \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{1+x}{1-x})##

I tried working with the taylor polynomial but unfortunately nothing came out of it. Could someone point me in the right direction?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
annaphys said:

Homework Statement



##f:= tanh = \frac{e^x-e^{-x}}{e^x+e^{-x}}##

Prove that
##f^{-1}(x)= \sum\limits_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2k+1}}{2k+1}##

The Attempt at a Solution


I also found the inverse function to be:

##f^{-1}(x)= \frac{1}{2}ln(\frac{1+x}{1-x})##

I tried working with the taylor polynomial but unfortunately nothing came out of it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Do you know the Taylor expansion of ##ln(1+x)##? What about ##ln(1-x)##? Then you can use a fact about ##ln(a/b)##.
 
Hey thanks for the response! Does that also hold for all x's in (-1,1)? I know that holds for x<<1.