Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the inverse of an m*n matrix

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    Prove that if A is an mXn matrix, there is an invertible matrix C such that CA is in reduced row-echelon form. I think I know how to get the inverse of a square or an nXn matrix B, i.e., each elementary row operation carried out on B is also carried out on an identity matrix I. [B|I] to give [I|B^-1]. But I have no idea how to do the same to an mXn matrix A in order to find C. In fact are all mXn matrices invertible? I doubt it. I am studing this on my own, so please give a hint or two to get started. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, an "m by n matrix" (without m= n) does not have a true "inverse" and you don't need one. Instead think about how you would row-reduce A. In order that CA exist and C be invertible, C must be an "n by n" square matrix. Every row operation corresponds to an "elementary" matrix- the same row operation applied to the n by n identity matrix. C will be the product of the elementary matrices corresponding to the row operations required to row-reduce A.

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    I tried what you said first on a 2 by 3 matrix A, and I found the matrix C without any problem. I need to extend it now to a the general m by n matrix A. Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook