Finding the length of a string given f, F, λ and m

  • Thread starter Thread starter romakarol
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Length String
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
romakarol
Messages
13
Reaction score
2
Going through my physics assignment tonight, so that's 10 questions I'll be posting. Since I'm thoroughly hopeless at this subject most of my attempts will be based on my elite google-fu or trawling through lecture notes, bear with me and thanks!

1. Homework Statement

frequency (f)=160hz
Force (F)=150 Newtons
wavelength (λ)=0.40m
mass(m)=6 grams

find the length of a string with these properties

Homework Equations


f(λ)=sqrt [F/(m/L)]

found this formula and the statement "solve for L" for this exact question online.
I put the values in above, I believe I interpreted them right.

The Attempt at a Solution


It seemed a bit dodge to re-arrange, but i got L on it's own to be:
L= [F/(fλ ^2)]/m
(with values)
[150/(160x0.40)^2]/6=0.0061m...I have a feeling I may be off here XD.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
romakarol said:
f(λ)=sqrt [F/(m/L)]
What is that equation? The right hand side (RHS) looks like the velocity of waves on a string...
 
I'm not sure, someone asked the same question as me on some website and that formula along with "solve for L" was the one-sentence reply. I used it because it seems to involve all the values listed in the question and can be used to find L. Is it incorrect?
 
Wait I found a simpler formula based on what you said:

upload_2016-4-8_2-10-7.png


I can get v since the wavelength and frequency is given (wavelength=v/frequency).

So if I re-arrange it to get L on its own, then L=[(m)(V^2)]/F, correct?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman