Finding the limit of f(x) as x approaches infinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nope
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Nope
Messages
100
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9366/95631341.jpg

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3416/37907619.jpg
lim f(x)
x->[tex]1\infty[/tex]
I don't know how to do the first one..
ty!

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, a through d and g are right, but e and f are wrong. The limit as x --> -1 is 1, not 3. Since both the left-side and right-side limits exist and are equal, the limit itself exists. It just happens that f(-1) is not equal to 1. That says that f is not continuous at x = -1.
 
I think i got it
just 1 more question,
lim (1.01+(1/n))n
x->[tex]\infty[/tex]
How would you solve it?
 
Last edited:
I think you mean as n --> infinity.
As n gets larger, 1.01 + 1/n approaches 1.01. When the quantity 1.01 + 1/n is raised to the power n, what happens to the whole expression?

Note that a similar limit, (1 + 1/n)^n has a quite different, and somewhat surprising limit value.
 
Is it infinity?
but when i put it in wolfram
the left side limit is 0? I don't get it... Does it mean, the limit does not exist?
 
Yes (1.01 + 1/n)n approaches [itex]\infty[/itex] as n approaches [itex]\infty[/itex]. I don't know what you're saying in regard to the left side limit -- n can approach [itex]\infty[/itex] only from one side. What are you asking?