Finding the Product of Real Roots: POTW Equation Solution

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter anemone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product Roots
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Messages
3,851
Reaction score
115
Find the product of real roots of the equation ##x^2+18x+30=2\sqrt{x^2+18x+45}##.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Euge, malawi_glenn, cbarker1 and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
is x2 = ##x^2##?

Find the product of real roots of the equation x^2+18x+30=2x^2+18x+45.
I would say that the equation has no real roots hence the product of real roots is not defined.
Unless I have missed something REALLY obvious or some technicality.
:oldconfused:
 
Last edited:
malawi_glenn said:
is x2 = ##x^2##?

Find the product of real roots of the equation x^2+18x+30=2x^22+18x+45.
I would say that the equation has no real roots hence the product of real roots is not defined.
Unless I have missed something REALLY obvious or some technicality.
:oldconfused:
My best guess is that x2 was indeed meant to represent ##x^2##.
In your spoiler work, it looks like you have an extra '2' in the exponent on the right side.
I also agree that the original equation (with my assumption) has no real solutions.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: malawi_glenn and jim mcnamara
anemone said:
Find the product of real roots of the equation ##x^2+18x+30=2\sqrt{x^2+18x+45}##.
Hello again to all!

Let me thank first for the moderator who edited my post to fix the caret sign.

But, this is actually the intended equation! I didn't miss out the square root but somehow I guess I did. Sorry.:sorry:

I hope this problem looks more interesting to you now!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: malawi_glenn
anemone said:
I hope this problem looks more interesting to you now!
Yes, that's more like it!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: malawi_glenn
Hello @anemone. Welcome to the PF!

I just want to check. If it is a high school maths problem then should the question be: "Find the product of real roots of the equation ##x^2 + 18 x + 30 = 2 \sqrt{x^2 + 18 x + 45}##"?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: anemone and malawi_glenn
julian said:
Hello @anemone. Welcome to the PF!

I just want to check. If it is a high school maths problem then should the question be: "Find the product of real roots of the equation ##x^2 + 18 x + 30 = 2 \sqrt{x^2 + 18 x + 45}##"?
Thanks so much @julian, post is edited!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: julian and malawi_glenn
Coffee break solution:

square both sides
##(x^2+18x+30)^2 = 4(x^2+18x+45) = 4(x^2+18x+30)+60##
define ##t=x^2+18x+30##
##t^2 -4t - 60 =0##
We seek solutions s.t. ##t>0## to solve the original equation, we obtain
##t=10## (##t=-6## not valid, false root).
We thus have ##x^2+18x+30 = 10## i.e. ##x^2+18x+20= 0##.
In the equation ##x^2 + Ax+B=0## the product of the real roots is equal to ##B##,
hence the product of the real roots for the original equation is 20.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK and anemone
Congratulations to @malawi_glenn for your correct solution! And thanks for your participation!
 
[tex]x^2+18x:=y[/tex]
[tex](y+30)^2=4(y+45)[/tex]
the solution of the quadratic equation is y=-20,-36. we have the condition
[tex]y+30>0[/tex]
so y=-20
[tex]x^2+18x+20=0[/tex]
The product of the roots is 20.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Office_Shredder