Maximize (x1+x2)(x1+x3)x4 for Quartic Equation with Real Roots in [1/2,2]

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, "maximize" means to find the highest possible value for a given equation or expression. We are only considering real roots because we want the solution to be applicable in the real world. The range is limited to [1/2, 2] because we want to find a solution that is within a specific range. To determine if the solution is a maximum or a minimum, we can use the first and second derivative tests. It is possible to solve this equation without using calculus, but using calculus is often the most efficient and reliable method for finding the maximum value.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Assume that the quartic equation $x^4-ax^3+bx^2-ax+d=0$ has four real roots $x_1,\,x_2,\,x_3,\,x_4$ where $\dfrac{1}{2}\le x_1,\,x_2,\,x_3,\,x_4 \le 2$. Find the maximum possible value of $\dfrac{(x_1+x_2)(x_1+x_3)x_4}{(x_4+x_2)(x_4+x_3)x_1}$.

-----

Likes bob012345
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my answer.
My answer is 1.5625

Consider the expression as a function;
$$f(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = \dfrac{(x_1+x_2)(x_1+x_3)x_4}{(x_4+x_2)(x_4+x_3)x_1}$$ we can take the partial derivatives to get maximize and minimum conditions.

$$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1} = \frac{x_4(x_1^2 - x_2x_3)}{x_1^2(x_4 + x_2)(x_4 + x_3)} = 0$$
$$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_2} = \frac{x_4(x_1 + x_3)(-x_1 + x_4)}{x_1 (x_4 + x_3)(x_4 + x_2)^2} = 0$$
$$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_3} = \frac{x_4(x_1 + x_2)(-x_1 + x_4)}{x_1 (x_4 + x_2)(x_4 + x_3)^2} = 0$$
$$ \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_4} = \frac{(x_1 + x_2)(x_1 + x_3)(-x_4^2 + x_2x_3)}{x_1(x_4 + x_2)(x_4 + x_3)^2} = 0$$

Since all the roots are real and positive we can disregard relations that involve one root being the negative of the other leaving the following ##x_1 = x_4##, ##x_1 = \sqrt{x_2x_3}## and ##x_4 = \sqrt{x_2x_3}##

if ##x_1=x_4## then ##f(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4)= 1## for all ##x_2,x_3##

There are many solutions to the second and third conditions but they suggest three roots are equal. Given that if we set ##x_1=x_2=x_3=\frac{1}{2}## and ##x_4=2## or vice versa we get a minimum of 0.64. If we set ##x_2=x_3=x_4=\frac{1}{2}## and ##x_1=2## or vice versa, we get a maximum of 1.5625. I also explored intermediate values all of which were lower.

If we put the condition for ##x_4## back into the original equation we get

$$f = \frac{(x_1 + x_4)^2}{4x_1x_4}$$ which maximizes to 1.5625 when ##x_1=\frac{1}{2}## and ##x_4=2## or vice versa. The minimum is one.

Also, if we put in the condition for ##x_1## back into the original equation we get

$$f = \frac{4x_1x_4}{(x_1 + x_4)^2}$$ which minimizes to 0.64 when ##x_1=\frac{1}{2}## and ##x_4=2## or vice versa. The maximum is one.

[\SPOILER]

Last edited:
I have not solved the problem. The following is some observation.

It seems that the quantity, say ##I##, is maximum when large order of the solutions are
[tex]x_4 \leq x_i \leq x_1 [/tex]
and it is minimum, the reciprocal of the maximum, when
[tex]x_1 \leq x_i \leq x_4 [/tex]

Looking at the coefficients we get
[tex]a=x_1+x_2+x_3+x_4=\frac{d}{x_1}+\frac{d}{x_2}+\frac{d}{x_3}+\frac{d}{x_4}...(1)[/tex]
[tex]d=x_1x_2x_3x_4...(2)[/tex]
[tex]b=x_1x_2+x_1x_3+x_1x_4+x_2x_3+x_2x_4+x_3x_4[/tex]

Thus for an easy case of d=1, in the maximum case
[tex]x_4=\beta^{-1},\ \ \{x_3,x_2\}=\{\alpha^{-1},\alpha\}, x_1=\beta[/tex]
where
[tex]1 \leq \alpha \leq \beta \leq 2[/tex]
then
[tex]I=1[/tex]
The minimum is also 1, so I=1 for any case.

(1) is written as
[tex](x_1+x_4)(x_2x_3-1)+(x_1x_4-1)(x_2+x_3)=0[/tex]
[tex](x_2+A)(x_3+A)=1+A^2[/tex]
where
[tex]A=\frac{x_1x_4-1}{x_1+x_4}[/tex]
Here we know that if there is a pair of reciprocal in the roots, the remaining pair is also reciprocal and d=1,I=1.

Last edited:
Likes bob012345

1. What is the meaning of "Maximize (x1+x2)(x1+x3)x4 for Quartic Equation with Real Roots in [1/2,2]"?

The phrase "Maximize (x1+x2)(x1+x3)x4" refers to finding the highest possible value of the expression (x1+x2)(x1+x3)x4, where x1, x2, x3, and x4 are real numbers. The expression is being maximized within the range of [1/2,2], meaning that the values of x1, x2, x3, and x4 must fall within this range.

2. How is this problem related to quartic equations and real roots?

The expression (x1+x2)(x1+x3)x4 can be expanded to a quartic equation, which is an algebraic equation of the form ax^4 + bx^3 + cx^2 + dx + e = 0. The problem is asking to find the maximum value of this quartic equation within a specific range of real numbers. Real roots refer to the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.

3. What is the significance of the range [1/2,2]?

The range [1/2,2] is the domain of the quartic equation, meaning that the values of x must fall within this range for the equation to have real solutions. This range is also used to limit the possible values of x1, x2, x3, and x4 in order to find the maximum value of the expression.

4. How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved using various methods such as calculus, graphing, or algebraic manipulation. One approach could be to take the derivative of the expression and set it equal to 0 to find the critical points. Then, evaluate the expression at the critical points and the endpoints of the range to determine the maximum value.

5. What is the practical application of solving this problem?

Problems involving maximizing or minimizing an expression within a given range are common in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. By solving this problem, one can gain a better understanding of how to optimize a system or process in order to achieve the highest possible outcome.