1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the set of u such that

1. Sep 12, 2015 #1
    Hi. I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind finding a set of u for u(u-1) > 0. To solve these, I tend to factor as much as possible, then equate each expression to 0 (in this case to > 0) and solve, changing the > to < if I must divide by a negative number. I get u >0 and u > 1 but the solution is given as (-∞,0)U(1,∞), aka u>1 and u<0. Why does it say u<0?
    Any help would be appreciated.

SOLVED. See below replies + http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/Alg/SolvePolyInequalities.aspx

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is not the correct approach. If u(u - 1) > 0 then either
    1) u > 0 AND u - 1 > 0. This leads to u > 0 AND u > 1, which simplifies to u > 1
    OR
    2) u < 0 AND u - 1 < 0. This leads to u < 0 AND u < 1, which simplifies to u < 0
    No, (-∞, 0) U (1, ∞) does not mean u > 1 and u < 0, which no number can satisfy. There is no number that is simultaneously greater than 1 and negative.

(-∞, 0) U (1, ∞) means u < 0 or u > 1. The difference between "and" and "or" here is very significant.
    See above

4. Sep 12, 2015 #3
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  5. Sep 12, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Because if a*b > 0, either both numbers have to be positive or both have to be negative. For example (-2)(-4) = + 8.

6. Sep 12, 2015 #5
    Alright, so what you have here Is fun.
    in fact when you open the parentheses you will get: u2 - u > 0.

Now to know when that happends you can simply solve what it should look like.
    since the u^2 has a positive feature you can infer it will be a "smiling" parabule.
    and you can clearly see the u(u-1) You can easly infere that the whole equation will equel zero at u=0 or u=-1

look at wolf ram alpha and see the discription fits.

After this you need to look at where the Y axis (the actual u(u-1)) is larger then 0.
    You will find it does at numbers higher then 1 or lower then 0.

You're approax is deviding it into 2 separate the inequalities and I believe this way is easier and quicker.

Tell me if I am unclear.

7. Sep 12, 2015 #6
    @ Spring. I figured it out already thanks to the link posted above. I appreciate the reply though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook