Finding the Value of a Vertical Vector

In summary, to determine the value(s) of t for which <3t2-t3, 2t2> is a vertical vector, you need to set its x-component equal to 0 and solve for t. In this case, t=1 is the correct answer.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

For what value(s) of t is <3t2-t3, 2t2> a vertical vector?

The Attempt at a Solution

I set them equal to each other, and received t=1. Is that what I am supposed to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well think about it. If a vector is vertical, what do we know about its x component?

Would it be coming off of it at a right angle? Could I use the Pythagorean Theorem?

If a vector is vertical, meaning it points straight up along the y-axis in standard position, its x-component will have to be zero, or else it will not point exactly straight up.

Ok, so should I set:
3t2-t3= 0?
Then solve for t?

Yes. Doing so should give you the correct answer.

FAQ: Finding the Value of a Vertical Vector

1. What is a vertical vector?

A vertical vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has only a magnitude and direction along the vertical axis. It can be visualized as a line pointing straight up or down on a coordinate plane.

2. How do you find the value of a vertical vector?

To find the value of a vertical vector, you need to know its magnitude and direction. You can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine to calculate the vertical component of the vector.

3. What is the difference between a vertical vector and a horizontal vector?

A vertical vector represents a quantity along the vertical axis, while a horizontal vector represents a quantity along the horizontal axis. They can have the same magnitude and direction, but their components are in different directions.

4. How do you represent a vertical vector in mathematical notation?

A vertical vector is typically represented using the symbol "v" with an arrow on top to indicate its direction. Its components can be written as (0, v) where 0 represents the x-axis and v represents the vertical component.

5. What are some real-life applications of vertical vectors?

Vertical vectors are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include calculating the force of gravity on an object, determining the direction and speed of a projectile, and creating 3D models in video games and animation.