Finite Extensions - A&F Example 44.2 .... ....

In summary: This is because $\sqrt{6}$ is not contained in $\Bbb Q(\sqrt{2})$, so it is not in the span of $\{1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}\}$, and thus is linearly independent from the other three elements in the basis.In summary, the authors are using the tower law of fields to justify why the set $\{1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{6}\}$ is chosen as a basis for $\Bbb Q(\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3})$, as it satisfies the requirements for a basis according to the theorem. This is important for understanding the concept of constructibility, as the example deals with constructing the
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 44: Finite Extensions and Constructibility Revisited ... ...

I need some help in fully understanding Example 44.2 ... ...Example 44.2 reads as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6862

I am trying to fully understand EXACTLY why

\(\displaystyle \{ 1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{6} \}\)

is the basis chosen for \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q} ( \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3} )\) ... ... I can see why \(\displaystyle 1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}\) are in the basis ... and I understand that we need 4 elements in the basis ...

... BUT ... why EXACTLY do we add \(\displaystyle \sqrt{6} = \sqrt{2} \cdot \sqrt{3}\) ... an element that is already in the set generated by \(\displaystyle 1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}\) ...

... indeed, what is the rigorous justification for adding \(\displaystyle \sqrt{6}\) ... why not add some other element ... ... for example, why not add \(\displaystyle \sqrt{12}\) ... Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

It looks like the authors are illustrating the tower law of fields in this example. Check to see if they mentioned the tower law before it. The law states that if $K\subset F \subset L$ is a tower of fields, then $[L : F] = [L : K] [K : F]$. The standard proof of this theorem (in the case $[L : F] < \infty$) shows that if $\{u_1,\ldots, u_m\}$ is a $K$-basis for $F$ and $\{v_1,\ldots v_n\}$ is an $F$-basis for $L$, then the set $\beta = \{u_iv_j: 1\le i \le m, 1\le j \le n\}$ is an $F$-basis for $L$.

Going back to the example, the tower $\Bbb Q \subset \Bbb Q(\sqrt{2})\subset \Bbb Q(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})$ is used in the first paragraph. Noting that $\{1, \sqrt{2}\}$ is a $\Bbb Q$-basis for $\Bbb Q(\sqrt{2})$ and $\{1, \sqrt{3}\}$ is a $\Bbb Q(\sqrt{2})$-basis for $\Bbb Q(\sqrt{2},\sqrt{3})$, the set $$\beta = \{1\cdot 1, \sqrt{2}\cdot 1, 1\cdot \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{2}\cdot \sqrt{3}\} = \{1, \sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{6}\}$$ is a $\Bbb Q$-basis for $\Bbb Q(\sqrt{2}, \sqrt{3})$.

Related to Finite Extensions - A&F Example 44.2 .... ....

1. What are finite extensions in mathematics?

Finite extensions in mathematics refer to a field extension that is finite in dimension. This means that the field extension contains only a finite number of elements and is not infinitely large.

2. What is the significance of finite extensions?

Finite extensions are significant in mathematics because they allow for the study of algebraic structures in a more manageable way. They also have many applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.

3. How is Example 44.2 in A&F related to finite extensions?

Example 44.2 in A&F (Algebra and Functions) is a specific example that demonstrates the properties and concepts of finite extensions in mathematics. It illustrates how to find the minimal polynomial of a finite extension and how to determine its degree.

4. What is the minimal polynomial in a finite extension?

The minimal polynomial in a finite extension is the monic polynomial of lowest degree that has the finite extension as a root. It is unique and provides important information about the structure of the finite extension.

5. How can I apply the knowledge of finite extensions in real life?

The knowledge of finite extensions can be applied in various real-life situations, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and data encryption. It can also be used in fields like economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and model complex systems.