Finland's hockey fans must be going wild

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 5K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2025 Award
Messages
16,110
Reaction score
8,522
Finland's Olympic hockey team beat Russia in the quarterfinals. They'll now play Sweden in the semifinals, in effect re-playing the gold medal match in Torino in 2006 which Sweden won.

Keep in mind that Finland was part of Sweden for several centuries, then part of the Russian Empire for about a century before becoming independent. Then they fought two wars with the Soviet Union in the 1940s, losing about 10% of their territory in the process. So there's a lot of back-history behind any competition with their big neighbors. :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Funny you mentioned Sweden-Finland doing a rematch of the 2006 olympic finals. In fact the other semi-final is also a rematch, of the final of the 2010 olympics. Both games look interesting, and as a swede I think I'm hoping for Sweden-Canada in the finals, which is also a classic fight from previous olympics (and Canada doesn't look to be at its best right now :P )
 
Sweden won, 2-1. Good luck against Canada! I think most US hockey fans will be cheering for you. :biggrin:

It started at 7am in my time zone, and it's 9:30 now, so it must have just finished. I didn't think to look for it this early. :frown: NBC's main channel (terrestrial broadcast) didn't show it, of course, and I don't have cable or satellite, so I would have had to go to my office early to watch a stream of it.
 
Last edited:
Just had to come back to gloat. Gone again.
Feel free to e-mail me.
 
Yeah, turned out to be Canada as I wanted, but unfortunately they where pretty strong. Think Sweden started out nicely but as the match went on Canada took over more and more, and I guess them winning was fair.