Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Finland's hockey fans must be going wild

1. Feb 19, 2014 #1

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Finland's Olympic hockey team beat Russia in the quarterfinals. They'll now play Sweden in the semifinals, in effect re-playing the gold medal match in Torino in 2006 which Sweden won.

Keep in mind that Finland was part of Sweden for several centuries, then part of the Russian Empire for about a century before becoming independent. Then they fought two wars with the Soviet Union in the 1940s, losing about 10% of their territory in the process. So there's a lot of back-history behind any competition with their big neighbors. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2014 #2
    I bet Putin's not too happy about this...

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    Funny you mentioned Sweden-Finland doing a rematch of the 2006 olympic finals. In fact the other semi-final is also a rematch, of the final of the 2010 olympics. Both games look interesting, and as a swede I think I'm hoping for Sweden-Canada in the finals, which is also a classic fight from previous olympics (and canada doesn't look to be at its best right now :P )

5. Feb 21, 2014 #4

jtbell

Sweden won, 2-1. Good luck against Canada! I think most US hockey fans will be cheering for you. :biggrin:

It started at 7am in my time zone, and it's 9:30 now, so it must have just finished. I didn't think to look for it this early. :frown: NBC's main channel (terrestrial broadcast) didn't show it, of course, and I don't have cable or satellite, so I would have had to go to my office early to watch a stream of it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  6. Feb 24, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

:tongue:

7. Feb 24, 2014 #6

Evo

You're not dead!

8. Feb 24, 2014 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Just had to come back to gloat. Gone again.
    Feel free to e-mail me.

9. Feb 24, 2014 #8
    Yeah, turned out to be Canada as I wanted, but unfortunately they where pretty strong. Think Sweden started out nicely but as the match went on Canada took over more and more, and I guess them winning was fair.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook