Finland's hockey fans must be going wild

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, Finland's Olympic hockey team beat Russia in the quarterfinals and will now face Sweden in the semifinals. This will be a rematch of the gold medal match from Torino in 2006, which Sweden won. There is a lot of historical context behind this competition, as Finland was once part of Sweden and then the Russian Empire before gaining independence and fighting two wars with the Soviet Union. The other semifinal will also be a rematch, this time from the 2010 Olympics. Many are hoping for a Sweden-Canada final, as this is a classic rivalry from previous Olympics. In the end, Canada defeated Sweden 2-1 in the semifinal match. The game was not broadcasted on NBC's main channel
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Finland's Olympic hockey team beat Russia in the quarterfinals. They'll now play Sweden in the semifinals, in effect re-playing the gold medal match in Torino in 2006 which Sweden won.

Keep in mind that Finland was part of Sweden for several centuries, then part of the Russian Empire for about a century before becoming independent. Then they fought two wars with the Soviet Union in the 1940s, losing about 10% of their territory in the process. So there's a lot of back-history behind any competition with their big neighbors. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I bet Putin's not too happy about this...

Funny you mentioned Sweden-Finland doing a rematch of the 2006 olympic finals. In fact the other semi-final is also a rematch, of the final of the 2010 olympics. Both games look interesting, and as a swede I think I'm hoping for Sweden-Canada in the finals, which is also a classic fight from previous olympics (and Canada doesn't look to be at its best right now :P )

Sweden won, 2-1. Good luck against Canada! I think most US hockey fans will be cheering for you. :biggrin:

It started at 7am in my time zone, and it's 9:30 now, so it must have just finished. I didn't think to look for it this early. :frown: NBC's main channel (terrestrial broadcast) didn't show it, of course, and I don't have cable or satellite, so I would have had to go to my office early to watch a stream of it.

Last edited:
:tongue:

Danger said:
:tongue:
You're not dead!

Just had to come back to gloat. Gone again.
Feel free to e-mail me.

Yeah, turned out to be Canada as I wanted, but unfortunately they where pretty strong. Think Sweden started out nicely but as the match went on Canada took over more and more, and I guess them winning was fair.

1. What is the reason behind Finland's hockey fans going wild?

The main reason behind Finland's hockey fans going wild is their national team's success in international tournaments, such as the IIHF World Championships and the Winter Olympics. Finland is known for producing top-tier hockey players and their success on the international stage is a source of great pride for fans.

2. How do Finland's hockey fans show their support for their team?

Finland's hockey fans are known for their passionate and enthusiastic support for their team. They often attend games in large numbers, wearing their team's colors and waving flags. They also engage in traditional chants and songs to show their support and create a lively atmosphere in the arena.

3. Is hockey the most popular sport in Finland?

Hockey is considered one of the most popular sports in Finland, alongside football (soccer) and floorball. However, the success of the national hockey team and the country's strong hockey culture have made it a beloved sport among many Finns.

4. How does hockey impact the culture of Finland?

Hockey has a significant impact on the culture of Finland. The sport is deeply ingrained in the country's history and has become a source of national pride. Many traditions and rituals, such as the traditional "sauna break" during hockey games, have become a part of Finnish culture due to the influence of hockey.

5. What makes Finland's hockey fans stand out compared to other countries' fans?

Finland's hockey fans are known for their unwavering support and dedication to their team. They are often described as some of the most passionate and loyal fans in the world. They also have a unique tradition of throwing hats on the ice to celebrate a hat-trick scored by their team, adding to the lively and festive atmosphere at games.