First order differential equation question

In summary, there is a problem with finding the solution for dy/dx=(x(x^2+1))/4y^3 with the given initial condition y(0)=-1/√2. The textbook answer is y=-(√(x^2+2)/2), but the provided work does not lead to the same result. It is suggested to double check the integration and factor in the boundary condition, as well as being careful with taking roots in the final answer.
idks16
The problem is : dy/dx=(x(x^2+1))/4y^3 when y(0)=-1/√2
This is my work so far:
∫4y^3dy=∫x(x^2+1)dx
(y^4)/2=((x^2+1)^2)/2+c
The answer from the textbook is y=-(√(x^2+2)/2)
As you can see, my work will never equal the textbook answer when you put it in the y= stuff form. What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a slightly different answer than what you posted from the text

[itex] y(x) = -\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(x^2+1)}[/itex]

and mathematica agrees with me, so perhaps a typo?

Anyway, it looks like your on the right track, although go back through the integration, I think you may be off by a factor.
Then apply the boundary condition to find the integration constant.
And simplify the algebra down to the answer.
Also be conscience of taking roots,
[itex] y(x) = ±(stuff)^{1/4}[/itex]
good luck

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its first derivative. It is typically written in the form of dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable.

2. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

The general method for solving a first order differential equation is to separate the variables and then integrate both sides. This involves isolating the dependent variable on one side and the independent variable on the other, and then finding the antiderivative of both sides.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first order differential equation has a maximum of one derivative, while a second order differential equation has a maximum of two derivatives.

4. What is the difference between a first order and a second order differential equation?

The main difference between a first order and a second order differential equation is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A first order differential equation has a maximum of one derivative, while a second order differential equation has a maximum of two derivatives. Additionally, the methods for solving these equations may differ.

5. Where are first order differential equations used in science?

First order differential equations are used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are particularly useful for modeling and predicting the behavior of systems over time, such as in population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.