Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Order Differential Equation with Reflected Argument

1. Sep 7, 2012 #1
    I am trying to solve:

(x + 1 + f(-x) )(1 - f ' (x) ) = x+1
    f(0) = x_0
    x in (-1,1)

I approximated it numerically but any analytic method I try fails. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hint: What do you get if you differentiate (x + 1 + f(-x) )? It should make you think of the chain rule.

4. Sep 7, 2012 #3
    Ok, so I can make a substitution:

y(x) = x + 1 + f(-x). Then

y ' (x) = 1 - f ' (-x).

I don't see where to go from there, since y ' (x) does not appear in the original equation. However

y ' (-x) = 1 - f ' (x) does appear in the original equation. If i make that substitution I get

y(x) * y ' (-x) = x+1

But I still do now know how to solve that. Is my reasoning correct so far?

5. Sep 8, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmm.. yes I was too quick - I thought the minus sign would not be a problem.
    However, you can at least try making an assumption about y(-x) and see if it produces a solution consistent with the assumption. I.e., try y(-x) = - y(x), then try y(-x) = y(x).

6. Sep 8, 2012 #5
    Judging from the numeric approximation, neither of those seem to be the case. I will try it and see what happens though.

I have tried many things. One thing I was considering was to use the cross correlation of f(x) with a conveniently chosen function, make a substitution, and use the Laplace transform to force the negative sign inside, then hope the inverse Laplace transform works out. That sounds really horribly complicated though.

I have tried a series solution but it did not seem to result in anything worthwhile.

Perhaps a solution does not exist.

7. Sep 15, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I finaly realised that f(x) might as well be separate functions for x> 0 and x < 0. so write g( x) = f(-x). obtain (1-x+f(x))(-g'(x)) = 1-x by swapping sign of x. Write orig equation as g(x) = expression in x and f'(x), then differentiate that to obtain expression for g'(x) and substitute in above. Now have 2nd ord (nasty) equation in only f and x. Not sure it helps much though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook