First order linear differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to finding the solution for the given differential equation, and the steps taken to simplify the expression using logarithms and exponentials. The final solution is found to be 1/(x^2+1). The conversation ends with gratitude and the assurance that the problem can now be continued with the simplified expression.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
\(\displaystyle (x^2+1)y'-2xy=x^2+1\) if \(\displaystyle y(1)=\frac{\pi}{2}\)What I have done:
Divide evrything by \(\displaystyle x^2+1\) and we got
\(\displaystyle y'-\frac{2xy}{x^2+1}=1\)
we got the integer factor as \(\displaystyle e^{^-\int\frac{2x}{x^2+1}}= e^{-ln(x^2+1)}\)
Now I get
\(\displaystyle (e^{-ln(x^2+1)}y)'=e^{-ln(x^2+1)}\)
and this lead me to something wrong, I am doing something wrong or?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Try simplifying the expression first , remember logarithm and exponential are (inverse) ...

ZaidAlyafey said:
Try simplifying the expression first , remember logarithm and exponential are (inverse) ...
that means if I got right
\(\displaystyle e^{-ln(x^2+1)}=-x^2-1\)?

Regards,

No , remember the rules of logarithm \(\displaystyle \log x^n = n\log x \) .

ZaidAlyafey said:
No , remember the rules of logarithm \(\displaystyle \log x^n = n\log x \) .
Ahhh I see now! \(\displaystyle e^{-ln(x^2+1)}=e^{ln((x^2+1)^{-1})}= \frac{1}{x^2+1}\)
Thanks a lot Zaid! I should be able to continue!:) Thanks for fast responed and taking your time!

Regards,

What is a first order linear differential equation?

A first order linear differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves only the first derivative of an unknown function. It is in the form of y' + p(x)y = q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of x.

How do you solve a first order linear differential equation?

To solve a first order linear differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables or the method of integrating factors. Both methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent and independent variables, and then integrating both sides of the equation.

What is the general solution of a first order linear differential equation?

The general solution of a first order linear differential equation is the family of all possible solutions that satisfy the equation. It includes a constant of integration, and can be written in the form of y = Ce-∫p(x)dx + e-∫p(x)dx∫q(x)e∫p(x)dxdx, where C is the constant of integration.

What is the particular solution of a first order linear differential equation?

The particular solution of a first order linear differential equation is a specific solution that satisfies the equation for a given set of initial conditions. It is obtained by substituting the initial values into the general solution.

What are the applications of first order linear differential equations in science?

First order linear differential equations have many applications in science, including in physics, chemistry, engineering, and biology. They are used to model various physical phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used to study the behavior of systems over time and make predictions about their future behavior.