First PhD Interview - What to expect?

In summary, the person is seeking advice for their upcoming PhD interview for Astronomical Instrumentation. They are wondering if they should brush up on physics equations or focus on showcasing their personality. The interviewer may ask about their undergraduate degree and why they are interested in the specific PhD program. It is important for the person to have a clear understanding of their reasons for applying and to highlight relevant skills. The interviewee is grateful for the advice and plans to prepare over the weekend.
hairnet
Hey guys, I have my first PhD interview (Astronomical Instrumentation) next week and was wondering what to expect.

Its part of an open day but I have a specific invite and they mention a formal interview...

Should I revise some physics equations or is it more like a job interview where there interested in my personality instead?

cheers for any advice

Physics news on Phys.org
The interviews I went to were a bit of both, though it's unlikely they'll actually ask anything as specific equations etc: the fact that you have a degree shows you're capable of working. They might ask about the subjects that interested you during your undergraduate degree, and will likely ask you to explain why you're interested in the PhD programme you're applying to.

Essentially, it's important to have the reason that you're actually there set in your mind. Also understand what makes you a good selection. I would make yourself a list of skills you think are relevant to both this subject and PhD programmes in general: then find a way to demonstrate competency in each of these.

Cheers ftj, that is killer advice!

Its on tuesday so i better get thinking over the weekend!

1. What is the purpose of a PhD interview?

The purpose of a PhD interview is for the admissions committee to get to know you, your research interests, and your potential fit for the program. It is also an opportunity for you to learn more about the program and ask any questions you may have.

2. What should I wear to a PhD interview?

You should dress professionally for a PhD interview, as you would for a job interview. This shows that you take the interview seriously and are prepared for a professional environment.

3. How should I prepare for a PhD interview?

To prepare for a PhD interview, you should research the program and the faculty members you are interested in working with. Review your application materials and be prepared to discuss your research interests and experiences. You should also prepare questions to ask the admissions committee.

4. What types of questions should I expect in a PhD interview?

You can expect a mix of general questions about your background and research interests, as well as more specific questions related to the program and your fit for it. These may include questions about your previous research experience, your future research plans, and your motivation for pursuing a PhD.

5. How long does a PhD interview usually last?

The length of a PhD interview can vary, but it typically lasts between 30 minutes to an hour. Some interviews may be shorter, while others may be longer, especially if they include a campus tour or meeting with multiple faculty members.