Attending a Physics PhD interview when you might not go?

In summary, the conversation is about attending an interview with a potential PhD supervisor even though the person may not end up attending the college. The person wants to attend for the experience and to improve for future interviews. It is discussed whether it is misleading to attend the interview knowing that the college may not admit the person. It is suggested that attending the interview with an open mind and considering the potential mentorship of the professor is a good approach. The conversation ends with a humorous reference to a video.
ams
Hi everyone,

I have an interview with a potential PhD supervisor scheduled for Friday, but I am not sure I will attend the college even if I get in. However, I want to attend the interview for the sake of experience (because I believe it'll help me identify the areas I need to improve myself in for future interviews). Is it misleading if I attend the interview even though I know I most probably won't be attending? Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you feel if you knew that the college has no intention of admitting you, but the professor wants to practice on someone before interviewing the real candidates?

• Haha
Likes Motore
If you're absolutely dead set on not attending then yes, that's a little misleading and a waste of everyone's time.

On the other hand, it's fine to go knowing that this particular college is not your first choice. You're interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you. If you go into the interview with an open mind, looking for what this particular place may have to offer that your first choice may not, looking at the professor as a potential mentor, then I would argue you should go.*

* At least, virtually. Right now you should probably avoid any unnecessary travel.

Likes russ_watters and PeroK

1. What should I wear to a Physics PhD interview?

It is important to dress professionally and conservatively for a PhD interview, even if you are unsure about attending. A suit or dress pants and a button-up shirt are appropriate options. Avoid wearing anything too casual or revealing.

2. How should I prepare for a Physics PhD interview?

Research the program beforehand and familiarize yourself with the faculty and their research interests. Practice answering common interview questions and be prepared to discuss your own research experiences and interests. It may also be helpful to bring a copy of your CV or resume.

3. What if I'm not sure if I want to pursue a PhD in Physics?

It is completely normal to have doubts about pursuing a PhD, and it is important to be honest with yourself and the interviewers about your uncertainties. Use the interview as an opportunity to ask questions and gather information to help you make a decision.

4. How can I stand out in a Physics PhD interview?

Show enthusiasm and passion for physics and research. Be prepared to discuss your previous research experiences and any publications or presentations you have made. Additionally, highlighting any unique skills or experiences you have that are relevant to the program can help you stand out.

5. What if I am not accepted into the program?

If you are not accepted into the program, it is important to remember that it does not define your worth as a scientist. Take the opportunity to reflect on your goals and consider seeking advice from mentors or other professionals in the field to help guide your next steps.