Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First the Statue of Liberty, then this guy. I like France.

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    I've always been quick to pick on the French, but sometimes they really hit the nail on the head. I was excited to see Obama win, but I wasn't really emotional about it. This guy on Charlie Rose changed that. It took a French guy to make me proud to be an American again. Just listening to him gave me chills. Fast forward to 13:10 and just listen to him.
    live coverage of the 2008 election
    Another quote from this guy: "Rosa Parks sat in order for Martin Luther King to walk in order for Barak Obama to run in order for the American people to fly."

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2
    Why do americans hate french people so much?

What did france ever do to us?

4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    They didn't let us use their airspace. They acted snobbish towards Americans. They forgot WWII.

5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    the french hate americans too.. and asians... and africans...

(-_-)

6. Nov 5, 2008 #5
    Boo hoo hoo. Get over it.

7. Nov 5, 2008 #6
    you asked.

8. Nov 5, 2008 #7
    Really, WWII? Are they supposed to bend over and kiss our backside on every issue because of something that happened 50 years ago.

Im just trying to see the rationalization of your though process here on an irrational viewpoint.

9. Nov 5, 2008 #8
    hey. you asked. Those are some reasons why Americans dislike the french. And 50 years ago isn't that long ago. My uncle fought in France and he's still alive. I suppose things will change once that generation is gone, but it was really important to them. To go fight halfway across the world to save country that just rolled over and surrendered to the Nazis only to have that country say we couldn't use their airspace later on really pissed off a lot of veterans.

10. Nov 5, 2008 #9

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I knew someone who had heritage here in the US ( Heugonots ) , when he went to France he was surprised to find that they disregarded him ; yes they really dislike us - we are simply patient with them.

Since the French have " loved Obama so much " it seems that they have no issues with Africans - or maybe it is because they have issues with the Scotch - Irish ... relatively.

11. Nov 5, 2008 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The french did send troops to help insurgents overthrow the goverment in America and effect regime change.

12. Nov 5, 2008 #11
    My original post was something good a french guy said. I didn't mean to start a france bashing thread.

13. Nov 5, 2008 #12
    I think most of the world doesnt like Americans thanks to Bush, not just france. I've never been there, so I can't comment on how they treat US visitors. I know they booed Serina Williams in the French open.

In the 60s france was a refuge for black american scholars/musicians.

14. Nov 5, 2008 #13
    thanks to Bush? are you nuts? The world has hated america for decades.

15. Nov 5, 2008 #14
    I don't think so. The middle east and the US got along quite well in the 60s.

Why did they hate us?

16. Nov 5, 2008 #15

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you have underestimated our annoyance with the French ; besides your OP had an anti-France tone to it.

They have always disregarded us , so forget that one guy's rather intangible comment ; did you ever consider on whether it was actually meant as a joke - perhaps the French people are laughing at it also?

" American people to fly "?!

This seems disregarding. Yeah all of the world is going to witness the Americans fly however

... where are they going?

17. Nov 5, 2008 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Americans are only in 3rd place in the ranks of people the french hate.
    Behind the English (the French only dislike the Americans because they are just the English with better teeth) and top of list - Parisians.

18. Nov 5, 2008 #17

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is true that they dislike us , everyone whom I knew that studied abroad there testified to this.

My guess is that one aspect is that they dislike our culture as compared with theirs. Also Americans are pretty ignorant of European history and this annoys them since most of them depend on the acknowledgement of this history to endeavor in their lifestyle which consists of food , wine , girls , and intellectual pretense.

19. Nov 5, 2008 #18

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then perhaps the British dislike us because we have better teeth?

20. Nov 5, 2008 #19
    Remember the riots back in '05 that swept through France? Rioters were mostly immigrants from North Africa.

21. Nov 5, 2008 #20

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl: ... so true!

Nope, that logic doesn't follow; at least, not for that reason!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?