1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics/Geology research with geologist useful?

1. Aug 20, 2015 #1
    If I were to do research in fluid mechanics with a geologist, would this be looked down upon by grad programs if I went into, say astrophysics or HEP? I don't know what I want to specialize in yet?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would probably look better on your resume if you did research in FM with a physicist or engineer who specializes in studying FM. IDK what special skills or insights geology or geologists bring to the table where FM is concerned.

It's not for nothing that Sheldon Cooper refers to his colleagues in the Geology Dept. as "the Rock People". :wink:

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    Well in this case, the geologist has a MS in physics and PhD in atmospheric science.

5. Aug 20, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Still not convinced. What FM research has this geologist himself been involved with?

Look, if you have to explain things in detail to someone like me, what kind of questions do you think the faculty in a grad program is going to ask, assuming, of course, that they think this geologist is the proper mentor for someone studying FM? You'll have to submit this geologist's C.V. and research history along with your own information.

6. Aug 21, 2015 #5

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

My graduate advisor has a PhD in Geology, our work together (while he was a member of the Physics department) was in fluid mechanics, and now he's Dean of an engieering college- labels don't matter.

What does matter to a grad admissions committee (besides grades and test scores) is a record of scholarly achievement. For example, if you are a co-author on a paper that is in a top-rate fluid mechanics journal, nobody will care that you worked with a geologist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook