1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focal length of lens

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    The homework problem is "An object 26.0 cm in front of a certain lens is imaged 1.60 cm in front of that lens (on the same side as the object). What is the focal length (in centimeters) of this lens"

1/f = 1/di + 1/do

I tried solving based on having distance of object (do) and distance of image (di) so 1/26 + 1/1.6 = 1/f and I solved for f coming up with 1.51 cm. I also tried with -1.6 since they are on the same side coming up with -1.71 and the computer doesn't accept either

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The image distance is negative (in the usual sign convention), so that is the correct approach.

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    so if I am understanding 1/26 + 1/-1.6 = 1/f and I should come up with -1.705 cm? It looks right but thinking the computer is being picky like my other answer

5. May 2, 2010 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. May 2, 2010 #5
    yeah its picky. I have put in 1.7, 1.71 1.705 and nothing. It does it everyonce in a while. I show teacher and all will be good. Thanks!

7. May 2, 2010 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might also try -1.70, that is the answer (-1.7049... cm) rounded to 3 sig figs.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook