Fooey, 'Underwater' is not the movie I hoped it might be....

In summary, the conversation discusses the disappointment in the trailer for the movie "Ford v Ferrari" and the hope for a potential film adaptation of the novel "Starfish" by Peter Watts. The conversation also mentions the unrealistic portrayal of a deep-sea habitat and the possible inspiration for the film's monster.
member 656954
I finally saw Ford v Ferrari, and one of the shorts opened with a team of people working seven miles under the ocean.

My immediate, very excited, thought was that they've made Peter Watts amazing novel, Starfish, into a film. Starfish is the first in Watts' Rifters trilogy, and I loved it. Watts' assumes adults read his novels, so I assumed a movie would be equally gritty and aggressive.

Sadly, as the trailer progressed, it became obvious it was for yet another locked-box monster mystery. And it also became apparent that science has been sacrificed yet again for...

Well, I'm not sure what for, as I've not yet seen the movie, but the trailer has one of the cast walking a corridor in the hab (this is miles under the sea, remember) after the thumping noise of something hitting the hab when she notices a drip. The drip is a leak and if your structure springs a leak at that depth, that's it, you're dead. At the depth, the 16,000-odd psi would inject seawater at the speed of bullets and once structural integrity is lost, that's it. You are crushed before you'd have time to blink. This being a movie, that isn't how it goes, the character runs faster than the hab collapses. <sigh>

The trailer is here if you're interested. I probs won't see it at the cinema...and I remain hopeful that Starfish one day gets the Hollywood treatment, though I'll admit I'm not very confident that it will.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's the Alien that sank to the bottom in Antarctica years ago, with the chain and water tower attached and he/she is really ticked off.

PS.
I especially like the bathroom scene - a large area normal sink and toilets - no expense spared - good grief.

256bits said:
Maybe it's the Alien that sank to the bottom in Antarctica years ago, with the chain and water tower attached and he/she is really ticked off.

Could be, with the strong inference in the trailer that it doesn't like rock music :frown:

And yeah, the bathroom is hilarious. It looks like the local gym, but upsized. Those are huge habs they are working from!

Likes 256bits

1. What is the plot of "Fooey, 'Underwater' is not the movie I hoped it might be...."?

The plot follows a group of scientists who must navigate their way through an underwater facility after an earthquake causes it to start collapsing. They soon discover that they are not alone and must fight for their survival against mysterious creatures.

2. Who are the main characters in "Fooey, 'Underwater' is not the movie I hoped it might be...."?

The main characters are Norah, a mechanical engineer, Captain Lucien, a veteran deep-sea explorer, Emily, a biologist, Rodrigo, a crew member, and Smith, the station's captain.

3. Is "Fooey, 'Underwater' is not the movie I hoped it might be...." based on a true story?

No, the movie is not based on a true story. It is a work of fiction.

4. What is the genre of "Fooey, 'Underwater' is not the movie I hoped it might be...."?

The genre of the movie is science fiction/thriller.

5. Is "Fooey, 'Underwater' is not the movie I hoped it might be...." a remake or a sequel?

No, it is not a remake or a sequel. It is an original story.

Back