Football kicked at 50° travels 20 m: finding initial speed and flight time

  • Thread starter Thread starter XtremeChic4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Projectile
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
XtremeChic4
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
A football is kicked at an angle of 50 degrees and travels a distance of 20 m before hitting the ground.

What is the initial speed of the ball? (14.1 m/s)
How long is it in flight? (2.2 sec)
How high does it rise? (5.94 m)

I have the answers but I don't know where to go with the information that is given. If anyone could help explain this problem, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
difficulty level: 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

hint:
1. the x and y components are independent.
2. write down the equation for x and y component (the final v_y is -v_y)
3. the initial V_y and V_x are related by tan(theta)
4. you have 3 eq 3 unkn (v_x,v_y,t)... solve it
 
alrighty..i think i understand what your saying. Thanks! I just have problems understanding how to get the velocities. Thanks again!