Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For an event to occur is a location required?

1. Jun 12, 2017 #1
    I joined to ask my question. It may be commonly asked but searching online is not conducive to getting an answer. I felt that a physics forum might already know. For an event to occur is a location required? Are things happening without a location? Time and an idea are two thoughts for discussion. Does nowhere exist?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

All events take place at a location in space and time, yes.

Time is not an event and ideas are essentially the result of large scale electrochemical reactions of the brain, which do have locations.

4. Jun 12, 2017 #3
    Thanks. I supposed the answers given, but wondered about it. It would be a very chaotic universe if results from events happening "nowhere" could cause events somewhere.

5. Jun 12, 2017 #4

Drakkith

Indeed.

6. Jun 13, 2017 #5

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is called Neverland. (Just kidding.) o_O

7. Jun 13, 2017 #6
    Since "nowhere" would have to be outside of "anywhere", there is little chance that anything happening "there" could affect anything "here".
    Also, an "event" is a transformation or a movement of energy in time, and in order to have transformation or movement, you have to be "somewhere".

8. Jun 13, 2017 #7

Drakkith

The OP's questions have been answered and I'm going to close this thread before it devolves into an argument over semantics.

Thread locked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook