For an event to occur is a location required?

• Thread starter joel59
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of location in relation to events, time, and ideas. The conclusion is that all events must occur at a specific location in space and time, and that ideas, while not physical events, are still the result of brain activity which does have a location. The idea of "nowhere" as a location is also discussed and determined to be a non-existent concept. The thread ends with the moderator closing the discussion.
joel59
I joined to ask my question. It may be commonly asked but searching online is not conducive to getting an answer. I felt that a physics forum might already know. For an event to occur is a location required? Are things happening without a location? Time and an idea are two thoughts for discussion. Does nowhere exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
All events take place at a location in space and time, yes.

joel59 said:
Time and an idea are two thoughts for discussion. Does nowhere exist?

Time is not an event and ideas are essentially the result of large scale electrochemical reactions of the brain, which do have locations.

Thanks. I supposed the answers given, but wondered about it. It would be a very chaotic universe if results from events happening "nowhere" could cause events somewhere.

Indeed.

joel59 said:
Does nowhere exist?

It is called Neverland. (Just kidding.) o_O

Since "nowhere" would have to be outside of "anywhere", there is little chance that anything happening "there" could affect anything "here".
Also, an "event" is a transformation or a movement of energy in time, and in order to have transformation or movement, you have to be "somewhere".

Likes joel59
The OP's questions have been answered and I'm going to close this thread before it devolves into an argument over semantics.

Thread locked.

1. What is meant by "location" in this context?

In this context, "location" refers to a specific place or position where an event can take place.

2. Can an event occur without a location?

It depends on the definition of "location". If we consider "location" as a physical place, then it is not possible for an event to occur without a location. However, if we broaden the definition to include virtual or abstract locations, then it is possible for an event to occur without a physical location.

3. Is a location necessary for all types of events?

No, not all events require a physical location. Some events, such as thoughts or emotions, can occur without a physical location. However, events that involve physical actions or interactions, such as sports games or concerts, do require a physical location.

4. How does location affect the occurrence of an event?

The location can play a significant role in the occurrence of an event. For example, certain events may only occur in specific locations due to environmental factors, such as weather or terrain. Additionally, the location may also impact the logistics and planning of an event.

5. Can the same event occur in different locations?

Yes, the same event can occur in different locations. However, the specific details and outcomes of the event may vary depending on the location. For example, a concert may have a different setlist or atmosphere depending on the venue it is held in.